Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows 98 (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   MS Windows 98 Support will end! (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=105463)

Murf February 2nd, 2006 12:05 AM

MS Windows 98 Support will end!

Effective June 30, 2006, support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second
Edition and Windows Me (and their related components) will end. After
this date, incident support, security updates and Custom Support
Agreement will no longer be available to the public. Visit
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx for details.

* On June 30, 2006, assisted support for Windows 98, Windows 98
Second Edition and Windows Me (and their related components) will end.
* After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident
support options or security updates. Microsoft is not offering a Custom
Support Agreement for these products.
* Online Support Content will continue to be available through
the Microsoft Support Product Solution Center Websites. This website
will continue to host a wealth of previous How-to, Troubleshooting and
Configuration content for anyone who may need self-service access to
this information. (http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub)
* Additional information on the support lifecycle of Windows 98,
Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Me can be located at:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1 and
www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

charger56 February 3rd, 2006 05:28 AM

well that sucks :cry:, i got SE on my other computer, guess im going to either upgrade to 2000 or XP. why didnt 95's support end?

The Dude February 3rd, 2006 11:30 AM

Didnt 95's support end years ago???

charger56 February 3rd, 2006 12:35 PM

oo it did? im not sure, do they still make updates for it?

kaitykaity February 3rd, 2006 03:14 PM

Right before the release of Vista, wouldn't ya know.

:curse:

renegade600 February 3rd, 2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaitykaity
Right before the release of Vista, wouldn't ya know.

:curse:

the bad thing is, is most win98 computers will not work with vista. its hard enough getting them to work with winxp.

charger56 February 3rd, 2006 11:40 PM

what do you mean their hard to get working on XP? if you meet all the requirments wouldnt there be no problems? i was thinking about upgrading to 2000.

smurfy February 3rd, 2006 11:58 PM

Pretty standard Windows support lifecycle. Yes Win95 ceased to be supported a couple of years ago (just after XP came out from memory).

Problem is, some old hardware that is still perfectly serviceable just won't run the latest MS operating systems (even Win2k had some pretty restrictive hardware compatibility issues) and some legacy applications (incl some business apps) are just never going to be 2k/xp/vista compatible.

Just because Microsoft ceases support, deosn't mean the O/S dies. (Just look at the Win95 forum :) )

charger56 February 4th, 2006 12:15 AM

yeahh lol, ok.

The Dude February 4th, 2006 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfy
Just because Microsoft ceases support, deosn't mean the O/S dies. (Just look at the Win95 forum :) )

Yeah http://images.cybertechhelp.com/foru...ons/icon14.gif

Daisy February 27th, 2006 09:56 PM

We still use 98SE for all our computers, business and personal. I would encourage anyone thinking about upgrading to XP - THINK TWICE!!! For some it works. We discovered that many of the components in the computer are not XP compatible. Also, sometime an upgrade will leave parts of the old system intact, causing a corrupt install. I contacted Microsoft about 6 - 12 months ago about the problems with XP upgrade. They couldn't help me. They didn't even try to connect remotely to my computer. One of the things they told me is how we should have a full install. For a company that says they support XP, it was not impressive. We went back to 98SE.

I thought Microsoft ended 98SE support a long time ago. We have not connected to Microsoft for updates in probably years. ZoneAlarm and Norton Antivirus are kept up to date and we are fine.

I hope things go well if you upgrade. Please backup your data.

tucker42 May 1st, 2006 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daisy
They didn't even try to connect remotely to my computer. One of the things they told me is how we should have a full install. For a company that says they support XP, it was not impressive. We went back to 98SE.

I don't care for XP at all, but I can't fault MS for this one. A dirty install of one operating system over another without formatting the drive is just asking for trouble.

nowshining May 17th, 2006 08:05 PM

well I think 2000 might work if I can get it on this 550mhz hp vectra vli8. I have some other taken apart computers. If I get raid working well, I have an xp DELL OEM disk that will install to ANY Dell computer. On this particular computer it does install but hangs the modem which worked fine on the dell optiplex gx300 I have broken (broke pins, i know.. :P worked on one with some pins restuck in, however when trying out my RAID controller i said I GIVE UP... :X and am using the newer/older one this vli8 but I might put that comp. and all others back together however I don't want to reinstall the OS so that's why i am refusing to go back. plus XP is RIDDEN with unsafety. If 98 ain't so safe and its still supported why ain't MS patching it? with the safest XP there was like 100 patches a week..YEESH. Also I was hacked once with XP, altho never with windows 98. :X and yes at that time i had the latest patches at that time... FIX 98's GDI resources problem and then add more compatibility for newer hardware and then your pretty much done. :P

If the resources were fixed 98 would be perfect. ;)

tucker42 May 19th, 2006 11:35 PM

That may be, but MS is in the business of selling software, nothing else. Fixing a previous product brings no new cash in.

nowshining May 20th, 2006 02:29 AM

ah that's where ur wrong I used to think that too, but see Gates is something very few know about his TRUE IDENTITY, trust me I found this out a bit myself this few months ago. Just try the Easter Eggs of his software, in Word 95 or so THE HALL OF TORTURED SOULS, that gave me a clue about who he is really is and moving on, BILL GATES is out to take over the world basically...HE HAS MONEY UP THE U KNOW WHAT and can't fix up an OS, alas I did say he fixed up one or two during the continuing support of 98, but if it is sooo bug ridden and many continue to use it, like i said why not patch up the remaining holes in it until the Support Date he promised. HE WON't be broke I can tell ya that... see I wouldn't be griping if the support wasn't extended like a year or two ago. But promising and then breaking it is something different as if he won't fix up the supposed patches then otherwise if their aren't any being put out that I see then 98 (besides the new hardware not being detected, some minor bugs, etc...) is PERFECTLY SAFE with the updates for security in the updates section so far...