Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows Vista (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Clarification (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=143445)

Mr Bean January 6th, 2007 02:11 PM

Clarification

Please can somebody confirm that if I was to buy Vista Ultimate OEM I would be able to install it more than once. I have read so many crossed reports on this that I don't know whether it is possible.

I format every six months so I don't intend purchasing as frequently.

If you catch my drift:dizzy:

Pi rules January 6th, 2007 04:12 PM

I'm honestly not sure either. I may buy XP Media Center 2005 OEM from Newegg which comes with an upgrade coupon giving you Vista Home Premium Upgrade DVD for shipping cost only. I'm still not sure how much Vista OEMs will cost, but this way may still be cheaper, and I'll be able to try out MCE for a little while.

Mr Bean January 6th, 2007 04:20 PM

Here's the prices from a UK retailer to give you some idea.:happy:

uripyores January 6th, 2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bean (Post 778906)
Here's the prices from a UK retailer to give you some idea.:happy:

£352.49 inc VAT - arghhh!!! that's more than I paid for this computer. I'll be sticking with XP for the foreseeable future.

[that's the full version I guess]

Mr Bean January 6th, 2007 04:50 PM

Yes that's the retail version. The OEM is about £135 which isn't really too bad. As far as I can gather the only differences between the two are the warranties and support.

MishY January 6th, 2007 05:49 PM

I've read the same as you Mr Bean and tbh I'm not sure if the OEM can be installed on your PC after say a mobo upgrade. I would suspect it will be possible but you'll have to go through the whole activation process.

I'm buying the retail version of Ultimate, though I wish MS would send me a copy for nothing along with a nice laptop like they did those bloggers, what with this site and all lol ;)

Mr Bean January 6th, 2007 07:00 PM

Live in hope Mishy mate:D

The activation thing wouldn't bother me, personally, but it would be nice if they stood up and said yeah or nay.

And Microsoft wonder why people get browned off with them!!!

cHiNgY1788 January 6th, 2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MishY (Post 778955)
I've read the same as you Mr Bean and tbh I'm not sure if the OEM can be installed on your PC after say a mobo upgrade. I would suspect it will be possible but you'll have to go through the whole activation process.

woulnd that be like what we have with xp?

Quote:

I'm buying the retail version of Ultimate, though I wish MS would send me a copy for nothing along with a nice laptop like they did those bloggers, what with this site and all lol ;)
yey

Murf January 7th, 2007 02:57 AM

I believe the rules will be the same as XP. However, I do know that VISTA will incorporate what is known as "Software Protection Platform" (SPP).

This technology will determine whether a copy of Vista is genuine or not. When Vista detects an invalid product key, tampered license files, attempts to hack product activation, or other indications that the software is not or is no longer genuine MS, it will display messages to the user and some functionality will be affected. Once in a non-genuine state, certain designated features will be disabled and the system may be required to reactivate and/or perform a successful validation to restore those features or prevent further loss of functionality. If the system is required to reactivate, a 30 day grace period will be provided after which time the system will be moved into a reduced functionality mode if it fails to activate.

Some affected programs within Vista:

Windows Aero
Windows Defender
Windows ReadyBoost
Windows Update