Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   The Anything Else Board (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Invisible files!! (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=150323)

cocokeelers March 16th, 2007 01:32 PM

Invisible files!!

Hello

All the music from my computer recently disappeared, but the memory was still being used.

I couldn't understand it and posted in a few forums, to no avail.

When I go to the folder the music files were in, there are now no files. Hovering over the folder, it says it contains 0 bytes and 0 folders.

The folder in which the albums were stored is something along the lines of:

D:/Documents and Settings/Tim/My Music

When I type this into the Windows explorer bar, it appears, as usual, blank.

However, I recently found that if I type the same, but then add the album folder name, the album will open, complete with MP3s...

D:/Documents and Settings/Tim/My Music/Neil Young - Harvest

So... the files are definately in the folder.

Problem is, I had 40gb of music and cant remember every album's file name to type into the bar. Plus, sometimes it will open the folder when I type the album name in, but other times it won't.

Please would somebody help - I'm out of ideas!

Thanks!
Tim

Zefon March 16th, 2007 05:08 PM

What OS are you using? ie Windows XP / Linux

cocokeelers March 19th, 2007 11:09 AM

hey, its XP. Any ideas?

Thanks

G_Dem March 19th, 2007 11:57 AM

Have you tried "show hidden files and folders" option in Tools > Folder Options in Windows explorer?

If not try this and then post the results. Copy and paste the code box below into notepad. Then save as find.bat (File Type - All Files). Also I have assumed you meant D:\Documents and Settings\Tim\My Documents\My Music not D:/Documents and Settings/Tim/My Music. If not please modify that line.

Code:

cd D:\Documents and Settings\Tim\My Documents\My Music
dir > D:\files.txt
notepad D:\files.txt

cocokeelers March 19th, 2007 01:59 PM

Hi,

My D:/ drive isn't actually a CD drive, it's another hard drive. How would I ammend this when typing the code into note pad?

Thanks

zipulrich March 19th, 2007 03:15 PM

No change needed - just try G Dem's suggestion.

And please post back the results :)

cocokeelers March 20th, 2007 01:49 PM

Hi guys

I typed in the text just as it was and saved it accordingly. When I double-clicked the new icon a black window opened momentarily then closed again without me getting to see if there was anything written in it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

cocokeelers March 22nd, 2007 10:33 AM

Thanks for your help. I finally cracked it...
Ended up going to the D:\ drive's properties and selected 'Check Now' from the tools tab.
When I next restarted my comp it took about 30 minutes to debug and delete certain things, but I now have 387 albums again!!
Thanks guys
Tim

G_Dem March 22nd, 2007 11:10 AM

No probs Tim.

Well done for sorting it out and thanks for keeping us updated.