Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cutting The Cord (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=233028)

lufbra June 6th, 2018 03:29 PM

Cutting The Cord

Have any of you "cut the cord" as in getting rid of cable TV/satellite TV etc, and if so, what are you now using to watch TV?

renegade600 June 6th, 2018 04:43 PM

I cut the cord around 10 years ago. I put cheap walmart computers on all of my tvs. For example, I am currently sitting in my recliner typing this post during a boring part of Death in Paradise playing in another browser tab :-) I can stream most local news stations out of Memphis so I don't miss the weather. I don't really miss any of my favorite tv shows. Most are on cw and their streams are free. I also get current shows from other websites, including amazon prime and netfix.

this is something you really have to do your homework on. if not careful, your monthly cost for streaming and equipement can exceed cable costs. I was fortunate and the computers paid for themselves in six months.

the only real downside is if you are into sports. You can purchase streaming subscriptions but they are costly. and lets not forget data caps. I am fortunate and don't have one, yet, but it is something you have to consider if your service provider has one. I would exceed most data caps with my usage.

Buzz June 6th, 2018 05:27 PM

I can't. I need broadband internet for business.. and a fax line as well.. might as well bundle TV with those from the same provider and save money. It's merely not cost effective for me to eliminate one of the three.

I would if I could get rid of the fax line (landline), but well.. there's no viable, reliable, electronic equivalent I've found. And some of my clients are old fuddy-duddys :)

Harrie June 6th, 2018 07:06 PM

I tried the free 7-day trial of YouTube TV recently when circumstances temporarily disabled my electricity and cable TV and I couldn't bear to miss the Tennis Channel. I was very, very impressed. 40.00 a month and it offers a lot. Wonderful on my tablet and phone. I believe I'd have to get Chromecast to cast it to my particular television set but the newer ones, at least I think, will play it just fine. I need to actually do a lot of homework on this. Really and truly, I'm paying the most unreasonable amount right now for my cable television and Internet! I've just barely dabbled with Amazon Prime. I'd also like to hear what others do. Seems to me having a hot spot from your cell phone provider to get internet access on your wireless devices is a great option, no?

lufbra June 7th, 2018 12:43 PM

Our two years contract with Comcast has just ended. During that two years they "upped" the cost which they said was because rental fees went up on their box.
Yesterday we ordered a Roku Ultra, and an interior antenna that has an "amplifier". That will be for local channels. To go with the Roku we're seriously considering going with Direct TV Now, because it looks like that has a good variety of channels available, even on their lowest priced set up. The great thing is that most if not all "streaming" companies offer trial periods, so you can try any amount of them . We've decided to go with Verizon Fios just for their internet service, we also like to have a land line too. I'd like for us to but a router too, instead of having to pay rental fees to Verizon.

lufbra June 10th, 2018 02:39 PM

The Roku arrived here on Friday, and we hooked it up to our TV that night. We've been having fun ever since just browsing around it and seeing what's available for free, which is a lot. We will be getting the Direct TV Now soon, especially since they're offering a "free" Roku stick, which will go nicely onto our second TV. Once that's installed and when the antenna arrives (for local TV viewing), I think we'll be pretty much all set.