Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Applications (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Install your programs all at once (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=231161)

renegade600 January 3rd, 2016 05:52 AM

Install your programs all at once

found the following website where you can install programs and utilities without toolbars, wrappers, adware and such. In addition, you can select everything you want to install and it will install them at once without interruption. Perfect when setting up a new computer or reinstalling the operating system in an old one.

https://ninite.com/

lufbra January 3rd, 2016 05:21 PM

I have used it each week, for several months. Just set it up and let it do it's stuff!

Harrie January 4th, 2016 06:58 AM

Going to pass this one on to hubby for sure. Sounds good.

Jadukar January 6th, 2016 09:51 AM

I have slow internet connection. Does it require high speed internet connection?

lufbra January 6th, 2016 06:02 PM

No it just means the downloading will be slow. Your best bet would be to run it overnight, or at a time when you're not using the computer.

Jadukar January 8th, 2016 06:09 AM

Actually I am a movie lover. So when I am not using computer, my download is still running. Although I will try it at night.

Seppi January 15th, 2016 10:22 AM

Cool.
I am not that good at computers and my friend always tells me that it is not that ok to run multiple installations at the same time. So is it or is it not ok to do this?

Appzalien January 17th, 2016 04:24 AM

I doubt it runs installations simultaneously, but one after the other. Also the programs they offer are limited and are best if they can update themselves on the fly since new versions or ones that don't update automatically would make the installation old hat quite quickly. I can't see me using paint dot net over my store bought photoshop. Irfanview would be ok it only changes versions about every 6 months or so. Under media choosing 3 codec packs could be disastrous. Even Malwarebytes doesn't update its program version automatically unless you use the payed version. Even though it has an update function I think I'll stick to my one at a time method. That way if I don't like a new version I have the older one in my download saves folder to revert to.

smurfy January 18th, 2016 01:44 AM

I have now had the opportunity to test this thanks to a hard drive corruption and Windows re-install.

Positive:
The ninite site keeps up-to date with new versions of each of the software titles it offers. 5 of the apps were updated this week.

The app options you select effectively creates a small (300k) script application which you download and run, this then proceeds to download and install each selected application in order.
Repeatable - the 300k app can be copied to a USB stick and re-run on other PCs or kept as a backup. I expect, given the method used, that it will always download the latest version of each app regardless of what date the 300k script file was created.

Negative:
No control over default install directories. All my apps get installed to my F: drive, not my C:, this has now duplicated them all on my freshly installed C: drive so I now have to uninstall and do it all manually anyway. If you want to keep your apps and docs separate from your O/S, this is not for you.

lufbra January 19th, 2016 05:42 PM

So for the biggest majority of computer users, Smurf's "positives" make the Ninite set up sound great to use. As for Smurf's "negatives", they appear to be simply for those who like to do things differently on their computers.

Harrie April 8th, 2016 09:25 PM

Ditto that sentiment.

BadtGuy April 21st, 2016 01:17 PM

Nice one thanks for sharing

renegade600 July 7th, 2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marisalewis24 (Post 1293749)
Relying on portable apps can save you setup time as the apps don’t actually have to be installed. You can place them in a cloud storage folder like Dropbox or back them up to a USB drive. When you want to use them on a new computer, just install your favorite cloud storage client or plug in your USB drive. You can then launch the applications and use them without installing them. Properly created portable applications will store their configuration data in the same place, so your settings will follow you from computer to computer.

but unlike ninite, it does not keep your programs updated. you will be using older, out of date apps on a new computer.

Merv Wiz July 30th, 2017 04:24 PM

The big problem is Adware and changing settings (defaults etc.) without you knowing, after all you have given permission for them to do virtually what they like.

I found out long ago, most of your unwanted spam etc. is installed when you tell a program to install the easy way, instead of checking every option.

Don't do it, you end up with changed settings and third party items .

renegade600 July 30th, 2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merv Wiz (Post 1299391)
The big problem is Adware and changing settings (defaults etc.) without you knowing, after all you have given permission for them to do virtually what they like.

I found out long ago, most of your unwanted spam etc. is installed when you tell a program to install the easy way, instead of checking every option.

Don't do it, you end up with changed settings and third party items .

that is why you should always do a custom install when not using a utility such as ninite. however, you should always check your settings after an update no matter how the install was done. Even Microsoft updates will change some of your settings to benefit them.