Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows 7 (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Keyboard not working properly (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=234119)

jmnew April 25th, 2020 11:53 PM

Keyboard not working properly

I recently purchased a new processor and video card for my PC. I set up the bios to boot from the CD ROM first. I re-installed windows in the normal fashion. First thing I noticed was the PC would not automatically restart when prompted. So I thought there was a problem with the windows installation. So I proceeded to re-install windows. However this time when I got the prompt to boot from CD/DVD the keyboard would not respond and it went directly to a page to choose either "Startup Repair" or "Start Normally". I could not use the arrow keys to toggle my selection nor would the "enter" key work to select anything. When I am in the BIOS everything works ok and I can use the keyboard normally. I am typing this right now in Linux, so I know the keyboard works. I tried even different ports for the USB receivers to no avail. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. Before I installed the processor and video card I cleared the CMOS with a jumper. I fear I may have screwed up my BIOS settings. Can anyone help me out. Also I noticed the PC would not automatically restart after I installed the video driver and clicked "Restart"
Thanx so much
Jim

jmnew April 26th, 2020 12:26 AM

OK it is definitely something screwed up in the BIOS as far as the not restarting properly issue, because I just did an installation of Linux Mint and it is doing the same thing. The keyboard worked OK throughout the installation. I will try the keyboard with windows again.
Thanx
Jim

jmnew April 26th, 2020 12:45 AM

I also just tried a wired keyboard thinking that maybe the drivers for the wireless keyboard were not loading, bu that did not work either. I placed the Windows 7 CD in the CD ROM and restarted the PC and it would not work when it said "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" This problem also has something to do with the BIOS I believe.
Jim

Jaytee April 26th, 2020 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmnew (Post 1307441)
I also just tried a wired keyboard thinking that maybe the drivers for the wireless keyboard were not loading, bu that did not work either. I placed the Windows 7 CD in the CD ROM and restarted the PC and it would not work when it said "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" This problem also has something to do with the BIOS I believe.
Jim

The only thing I can suggest (which you have probably done) is to go through the BIOS and scrutinize every facet of the thing in detail to see if you find the error. may be a keyboard input setting.
The only times this has happened to me is when some kind of malware changed my keyboard to English UK not really a major.

Murf April 26th, 2020 01:47 AM

Get back into your BIOS Setup"

Under Standard CMOS Features

Date
Time

IDE Channel...

You should see HALT ON Set it to [ALL, But Keyboard]

Under Integrated Peripherals

USB Keyboard [enabled]

Save and exit

If that does not fix then go back and SET TO DEFAULTS and Save and Exit

Jaytee April 26th, 2020 02:32 AM

jmnew April 26th, 2020 06:47 AM

Thank you so much Murf. Enabling the usb keyboard was what did it. I could not believe I could have been so blind to not see that. Like Jaytee said I went through the entire bios with a fine tooth comb and apparently still missed it. Thank you so much for saving the day.
Jim

jmnew April 26th, 2020 06:54 AM

As for my other problem with Windows not restarting automatically. Any ideas or do you want me to post a separate query about that issue.
Thanks again
Jim

Murf April 28th, 2020 04:32 PM

Windows not restarting automatically.

Does it still do this ? Do you still have Linux installed and dual booting?

In Windows 7;

Start>Computer (Right Click and Select Properties)

In control panel home on the left, click on Advanced system settings

Locate the Startup and Recovery Section near the bottom of the window

Click on Settings Button

Under System Failure is "Automatically Restart" checked?

jmnew April 28th, 2020 07:18 PM

Yes it is still doing this. It was doing it without Linux installed. After installing Linux it does it even within the Linux OS. Yes Automatically Restart is checked. That's why I was thinking maybe something in the BIOS, but not sure where to look.
Yes Automatically Restart is checked.
Thank you for your reply
Jim

Murf April 29th, 2020 01:01 AM

So it DOES NOT Automatically restart if there is an error? You can shut down and start up normally?

Are you dual Linux and Windows? That is when you boot it asks you to select which one?

jmnew April 29th, 2020 04:56 AM

That is correct. It does not automatically restart if there is an error. I have to manually restart the computer by holding the button for 5 seconds till it shuts off then pushing the button again to restart it. It just seems to go to sleep if I don't. Yes I am dual boot windows and linux. Yes it asks to select which one.
Thank you for your reply
Jim