Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows 8 (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Windows 8.1-Not for everyone (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=222735)

Murf October 20th, 2013 03:33 AM

Windows 8.1-Not for everyone

Beware, Windows 8.1 is not compatible with all computers that have Windows 8. I learned the hard way. I have a Lenovo G780, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (had Windows 8-so it was free), after all said and done WiFi would not work. Spent many hours trying to get it fixed, install, reinstall drivers, many supposedly solutions found on internet, I tried them all.

So I ended up doing a refresh to revert back to Windows 8, now have to reinstall most of the programs. I would recommend checking compatibility at the MS Compatibility Center.

HERE

jackiedorsey November 20th, 2013 07:30 AM

no way! I just updated to windows 8.1 but I haven't checked yet if everything seems fine. Thanks a lot for this helpful advice. I guess I'll be more careful next time when updating because of this compatibility problem

sladden November 21st, 2013 07:37 AM

When you ask to download the free 8.1. It doesn't seem to update. It seems to do an over-install and warns you to check if the machine is compatible.
I reinstalled my win8 to try the free 8.1.
I couldn't find any dramatic (user friendly) differences, so I wiped it and went back to linux.

dominiquecobb December 13th, 2013 08:48 AM

Thanks.. i also remember this things while upgrade window 8.

nolacs22 January 22nd, 2014 12:14 AM

MY computer HP pavilion g6-2225nr with Win 8 x64 V6.9 IE 10, would NOT upgrade at all,because of a windows update issue problem i didn't even know i had.I ended up running sfc/scannow that told me i had corrupt files.So i then ran both parts of DISM.exe with command prompt and got everything fixed,but ended up after the fix, not upgrading to Win 8.1 because of all the problems people were having after the upgrade.

jonesy8222 April 18th, 2014 12:35 AM

i haven't made that update yet, personally concerned it will mess with my carefully set up system and cause difficulties with programs i have installed, have no evidence for this belief but worried none the less.

Gary_Buska May 19th, 2014 06:55 PM

I Have to admit I was a little Leary about updating to 8.1.
I built my system with windows 8 64 bit OEM edition I could not update my old windows since it was Windows XP 32 bit.
But I have to admit it went smoothly with only one problem which was a easy fix I have FS2004 Microsoft Flight Simulator and I had to down load and install a app but otherwise it went smoothly:wave:

Murf February 8th, 2016 05:42 AM

Opened thread back up, as info may be needed to upgrade to Windows 10, Windows 8.1 is really just a service pack for Windows 8.