Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Hardware (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dropped a heavy object on laptop, Laptop starts randomly shutting down (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=198078)

yvsandeep May 26th, 2009 07:14 PM

Dropped a heavy object on laptop, Laptop starts randomly shutting down

hi,

i have a Compaq presario m2254 au laptop. It has an AMD Turion 64 processor and is 3 years old (has no warranty).

i have dropped a reasonably heavy object on top the keyboard of my laptop this morning. The laptop screen froze and became blurred, I tried working on it, but of no use. I then shut it down. After some time i tried starting it, i found that it will work for some time say approx - 5-8 minutes and then gets shutdown.

First i thought maybe the hard drive got lost, i tried keeping another hard disk, but the result was the same, it boots up, loads all icons in taskbar, i open firefox and browse a little and then suddenly shuts down. I tried the same wid linux, where it behaves in the same manner.

I think my laptop has experienced some kind of shock, if this is the case is there anything i can do ?? giving laptop for outside repair is very expensive here .... :( :( :(

megaalex May 27th, 2009 03:05 AM

umm ok I have heard of this happening in desk tops only so i don't know but maybe you knocked a wire or circuit louse and it's touching the case which causes the mother board or another part to ground out and louse charge. So my advise is to take it apart and check for louse wires or circuits. Now before you do this know it's a lap top and doesn't come apart easy so if you are any bit un-experienced get help or take it in for repair; yet again never heard of this happening on a lap top but it's the best I have.

yvsandeep May 27th, 2009 04:26 AM

hi megaalex,

Thanks for the reply to my query. I am typing this from the laptop itself. I downloaded a service guide for my laptop and cleaned the fan. But the problem still persisted. After doing some searching online, i found about Notebook Hardware Controller. I installed this on my laptop and started monitoring the temparatures. The laptop shuts down as soon as temparature touches 90 degrees.
When i keep the laptop elevated at a height of about 5 inches from the desk and left some place for the fan , i found out that the laptop is working. Thus the problem is with heat dissipation as far as I know.

What I want to know is how heat dissipation or working of fan got affected when i dropped a heavy object on keyboard of my laptop. Do you have any idea ???

megaalex May 27th, 2009 07:53 AM

Ok now this should be an easy one to fix. Unlike a loose wire hitting the case (doubted that would happen on a note book any way) an over heating problem is damn easy to fix. Step one go to electronics store or local wal mart
step two go to electronics area,
step three locate a Cooling plate
step four put it in to cart
step five ring it up for 25-30 dollars (price listed in American dollars)
step six plug it in USB port
done

It seems that the drop may have dented a vent or knocked a fan loose and it is making your note book over heat. buy an external cooling solution (you should really have one any way for any note books over a year old) and just place the notebook on top of it and then pulg it in to your note books usb port; The cooling plate will have two or more fans that sit under your notebook cooling it from the bottom.

finally don't block the vents on the lap top and never put it on a soft surface like a blanket, this blocks the vents and Is a huge NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO