Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Gaming (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How to add to list of Free games (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=176459)

kittylondon February 22nd, 2008 07:39 AM

How to add to list of Free games

I have games that I've played and are online puzzle/Point and click/escape/adventure games that I would love to share.

How do i go about posting them here with picture of the game itself like the above posters...is it "print screen" function? I've tried that in the past and it didn't work...not sure if i did it right..and is it ok to post them theyre not mine...just ones ive played online..also have a few that can be downloaded for free..

Moderator; If ive posted this question in the wrong place..please delete post, but provide link to answer to question before deletion if thats possible..:)

kittylondon February 22nd, 2008 09:08 AM

Moderator or Site Helper..

I see that my post was moved..so I thought i could add to it...:)

I would like to add to the "list of free games"..on this site in the "gaming"
forum...

There is a thread here in the gaming forum for adding free games..can be seen here.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...d.php?t=135618

Also would like to put picture of the game with my posting..not sure if this is done with the "print screen" function..located on keyboard. It looks as though it is..and it was taken during gameplay..

Could someone give me detailed instructions on how to do this..I know how to use the function with word pad..copy and pasting it in wordpad..is it the same method here..only paste it in posting.

And what if any regulations there are to posting these games..on Cybertech.

Like am i allowed to do it with any games..as long as they're free?

Can i also recommend downloadable ones.?

Can the url be from the website i played it from or does it have to come from the source?...

Do I have to have permission from game developer to post it here..?

Thank You in advance, for your patience in reading this and or answering:D

oracle128 February 23rd, 2008 10:16 AM

I started and am the main contributor to the free games list. Before I continue, I should tell you that the free games list isn't really being maintained anymore. You can add games, and they will be seen, but the index is apparently no longer being maintained, and I personally will not be adding games to that list. This is partly because the ability to Edit is no longer allowed 24 hours after the post was made (meaning, I physically can't maintain the index, only moderators can, and they're too busy too), and partly because a forum is not the best way to index these games; it's messy and difficult to manage.

Currently I am developing my own website that will be better suited to lists like this, among other features. If you can wait, it may be completed by the end of March. But don't hold me to that date, it's a free-time thing, and I'm lazy. However, I will be migrating all the games from this list into the new one when it's done (including those not posted by me). So if you post to this list, I will copy it to the new list (you will be credited, of course).

Ok, now if I haven't confused you or put you off posting, here's some answers to your questions.
Quote:

And what if any regulations there are to posting these games..on Cybertech.

Like am i allowed to do it with any games..as long as they're free?
Firstly, note this line in the first post of the list:
Quote:

Originally Posted by me
Individual games only please, links to huge lists of games aren't helpful. Use the official site where possible, otherwise use a fan site or the site with the most information about the game, or at least, a working download. Screenshots are extremely helpful. No trials, warez, adware/spyware. Registerware and nagware is ok if it's worth it. If you want to add abandonware, check with a moderator, these may need to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If you post, turn off your signature.

So basically, anyone is allowed to add games to the list, the conditions being that:
1) They are completely free
2) They do not contain any spyware, adware etc, and are not illegal downloads
Now, "free" is hard to define; some of the games on the list are free to download and play, but may use a method whereby they charge for extra content (MMO RPGs are the common games utilizing this method). While they are currently listed, generally I suggest avoiding posting these games.
Quote:

Can i also recommend downloadable ones.?
Yes, in fact the vast majority of games on that list are downloadable. Very few of them will play in web browsers (eg Flash or Java games). I personally avoid posting these latter types of games, but post them if you want. I will probably compile a different list of browser-based games.
Quote:

Can the url be from the website i played it from or does it have to come from the source?...
Source only please. Exceptions are if the source doesn't/no longer exists, is not in English, or is otherwise inaccessible or not the most useful source of info on the game.
Quote:

Do I have to have permission from game developer to post it here..?
Get permission if you want, but it's certainly not a legal requirement, nor do I know of any reason why a developer wouldn't want free advertising for their game (if you could call this list "advertising").
Quote:

Could someone give me detailed instructions on how to do this..I know how to use the function with word pad..copy and pasting it in wordpad..is it the same method here..only paste it in posting.
Ok, forums, and web browsers in general do not support copy/pasting of pictures or anything else that's not text, the Internet just doesn't work like that. What you need to do is save the image as a file on your PC. If you use PrintScreen to get a screenshot of the game, MS Paint is good enough to paste into and Save. Make sure to save as a JPEG. Honestly, I didn't have time to download and play every game I added to that list (well over 500 games), most of the screenshots are actually downloaded from the developer's website.
Once the image is on your PC, you need to host it somewhere. I used Photobucket to upload all the images for games I added. If you have your own webspace, or use another image host, you can use that. The important thing is that it allows hotlinking - that is, embedding the full image on another website (ie. in the free games list).
Once you've uploaded the image to the Internet, you're ready to post the game info.
I recommend using the same info format I used - there's a forum code template you can copy in the first post. Fill in your info after the [/b] tags, and put the image's URL between the [IMG] tags.
If in doubt, click "Go Advanced" instead of "Post Quick Reply" and that will let you preview how the post will look.