Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:44 AM

Windows 7 disc read error. Is one of my hard drives bad?

Before I begin I'll just state that I have googled and searched this site for answers to my problem. I couldn't quite find a problem similar to mine. I did however find some suggestions.

Here are some of my specs
Ram: 1 GB(Yes, I know)
PSU: 250w
Video card: Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 512mb
HDDs: 2x IDE Hitachi HDS721616PLA380 160GB

My computer has recently had this annoying problem where if I left the computer off for more than 5 hours and then turned it on. It would crash on the Windows 7 loading screen. Upon rebooting it, it'd start up normally. Except this time I got 'disc read error occurred' and it has said this ever since.

I've swapped IDE cables to see if thats the problem. It isn't. I've ran the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. Both Hard Drives come back error free. Which I'm hoping is a good thing.

So now I'm thinking it has something to do with the OS. Since it crashed while loading it numerous times before. But I'm still not sure. Just hope you guys can help. Thanks.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:07 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Drive issue

First I would get a bigger power supply (450-550 watt) what brand f motherboard are you using and are the bios for it up to date? Iwould also check for updates for drivers(a good program is driver detective).

I am interested to know if this works.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:22 AM

I use to have a bigger power supply(500w I believe) until it literally blew up. These computer guys that my dad knows said 250w would be enough. So that's what I got. I never thought it was enough but it's been doing fine for the year or two. So I really can't complain.

Mobo is ASUS P5NSLI. And wow...now that I think about it. I never updated my bios. The thought never even crossed my mind. They must be at least 4 years old by now.

EDIT: Well I've located my Windows 7 disc and I'm going to try to repair it if possible. If not, I'll then try to reinstall Windows 7 and hope it creates that Windows.old folder with all my stuff.

Unless you guys think that's a terrible idea???

Last edited by Jerebear; February 2nd, 2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:20 AM

Tried to repair, but the operating system wasn't listed. Also can't reinstall because it requires that I have the OS boot first.

This really isn't looking to good. Don't really know what to do now.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:34 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Its having a problem finding the drive. Prior to this it ran fine right? Power supply would not cause your symptoms. There something going on with either your BIOS or the drives. There are 3 things I would try.

1. You already did with the drive analysis
2. Your Master Boot Record is corrupt
3. Your BIOS is not remembering the settings.

Reboot and immediately get into SETUP. Are the drives showing up in there?

Reset your BIOS either using the jumper on the motherboard or taking out the CMOS battery and leave out for about 5 minutes. This will reset everything back to defaults. Then boot and gbet back into SETUP and set the correct date and time (as it will change once the BIOS is reset.)

If the computer is 4 years old, may spend $3 and replace the CMOS battery.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:45 AM

Yes it recognizes both drives. I also tried using Puppy Linux live cd to get my data off the hard drive on to an external one but it failed mounting the drive. Since I'm really worried about losing my data. That's an entirely different situation though.

I'll try doing what you suggested.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:27 AM

Not sure what else I can do. As mentioned before the drives are recognized in the bios, by the Hitachi Diagnostic tool and puppy linux. The windows repair disc will not list the operating system. So I can't go any further with that.

Boy this stress is killing me.

Last edited by Jerebear; February 2nd, 2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:01 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Disk Problem

I just went to the ASUS sit e and looked at information on the P5NSLI. This board dose not support Windows 7 operating system at all according to Asus.
This is probably the cause of most of the problem.
Iam not sure how you got this installed the first time but in looking at drivers and downloads there is no support for anything higher than Vista.
I would take the one drive with the data you want to save out and use the other drive and go back and install XP or Vista which will allow you to install good known drivers. It may be easier to update the motherboard to one that has Win 7 compatability.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:52 AM

In my experience, Vista drivers have worked just fine with Windows 7. For example when I first upgraded to Windows 7, the audio didn't work at all. But by installing the Vista drivers for the integrated audio off the ASUS site. The sound has worked great.

I really doubt having an outdated motherboard and drivers has anything to do with my current problem. So today I've purchased a SATA HDD enclosure case(I realized I said I had an IDE hard drive earlier, I was incorrect)in the hopes of retrieving some or all of my data off the hard drives. So far it hasn't went too well. When I attempt to access one of the drives it wants to format it and states 'The file or directory is corrupted'. The computer will pick up the 2nd hard drive but acts as if it's not there. By that I mean I can't open or explore the hard drive, but it's listed in the device manager and other places.

I've now resorted to using data recovery software which I've heard can do more harm than good. Can't think of any thing else to try :/