Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old June 17th, 2019, 02:09 PM

external hard drive failure

My Seagate 1TB external "expansion portable drive" model SRD0NF1 has suffered a complete breakdown, and will not mount on my Win7 computers (one is Compaq and another is generic) my Linux Mint computer (same Compaq dual OS's) or my TV (Samsung 65 inch).

The blue light comes on and I hear a notification from the computers that they have received a USB device, but ultimately neither they nor the tv recognize it is there sufficiently to open a dialog box.

I have the computers set to boot off of USB first, so I also tried to boot with the HD in place, and the computers saw it there sufficiently not to load windows but not enough to do more than just hang with nothing happening. If I tried that with a blank USB thumb drive, I get an error message that says No Operating System Found but with the expansion drive, nothing at all.

Leading up to that moment I had some kind of partial failure on my Win 7 computer. Firefox and Win Explorer both misbehaved simultaneously by freezing and Task Manager didn't help, so I did a hot reboot with the emergency button (not the on/off). The hard drive worked for a few minutes after that, and then I tried to put something on it and it wasn't recognized.

Note: I have dropped it a few times, but without consequence, and but did not drop it before the latest failure.

Also, I should note that this is the third or fourth time I have had a failure like this, each time with a different brand of hard drive. Load it up, and then sudden failure. Sometimes it only took a day or a week, but this particular device has been good for about 4 or so years.

Backing up to a cloud service is no good: it now seems like they review or at least monitor your data. https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr...ssession-child Burning stuff to backup discs is dicey; I have had disc failures and stuff fail to burn despite notifications saying it had, plus a terrabyte is a lot of effort and time spent in backing up.

Any thoughts on how to get my data back? Thanks.

Old June 17th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Howdy Total Noob,

You'll need two bits of luck there. One, that the electronics of the external failed, and not the drive. And two, that the drive is a sata and the electronics are not built into it (and some Seagates are).

First you will need to take the external apart. Since it is a dead duck either way, you needn't worry if you beak some plastic when doing this.

Then, if you find that the drive does have a regular sata connector, you'll need something like this to hook up the drive to a computer and see if you can access it then.
Old June 17th, 2019, 09:32 PM

Solid advice but it did not work out. I had a SATA from an enclosure that now holds a drive from a dead computer; it hooked up correctly to the external and the LED lit up but did not flash and I still could not get the drive to mount.

Any other possibilities? Note: commercial repair is out of the question as I have confidential material on it.

There isn't any weird noise when the light is on signifying some kind of failed part or anything else for that matter.

Is there a possibility my drive was attacked with the kind of tools the US uses to attack the Russian power grid and vice versa? https://thehill.com/policy/national-...-grid-possible

Last edited by Total Noob; June 17th, 2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old June 17th, 2019, 11:03 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Question

No, likely no commies have attacked your external drive.

I'm thinking the drive is shot and you are out of luck. I know that surely some folks on this site would disagree with me, but I seen it too many times where a 1tb or above hard drive just fails for no reason.