Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Topic Tools
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:52 PM

Exclamation Really bad Hard Drive problem (I have no idea how to even come close to fixing this)

So I bought a new computer, 1.8 Terabyte Hard Drive so yesterday I got it all installed and ready to use, now today, my memory is full. So apparently, my 1.8 TB hard drive "New Volume (D: )" isn't being used AT ALL. Reason? It's D: not C:. So storage was randomly made to hold all windows files and program files including what I downloaded since I first connected my computer. That "fake" storage only holds 105 GB memory and it's full but I don't have any clue how I can get my existing files and Windows files safely to my D: hard drive without just permanently breaking my new computer. Should I take it to get repaired? Should I try and reset the computer from the beginning? Anything would help at this point, many programs have broken and had to be reinstalled very dangerously because of the advice I was given and attempted to use. I really don't want to break my computer with bad repair attempts, so I came here.

Old December 16th, 2012, 07:02 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Welcome to CTH

Was this drive already installed? Is this a desktop? Did you add this drive and tried to install Windows 8?

Was the hard drive partitioned and formated? Need more info?

New 1.8TB hard drive?
How was it installed?
Is there another hard drive in the computer?
Did it come with Windows already installed?
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:16 PM

So the 1.8 TB Hard drive came with the computer but that other storage just appeared out of nowhere, which is why I'm guessing it has so little storage. The symbol for the storage is just a Windows 8 symbol over the regular hard drive symbol. It's called Windows (C: )

Link to the computer that I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...36&Tpk=ne625fx

There is no other hard drive on the computer, just the 1.8 TB.
The computer came with a sticker that had the product code (For Windows 8) on the side but I was having monitor trouble so I couldn't see what was going on past windows saying it was getting ready until I was able to get the cable for the monitor stuck back in place. I had no idea that the 105 GB storage was there until I ended up running out of space.

Last edited by Stickman47; December 16th, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:20 PM

That computer has what is called a SSD Hard Drive (120GB). It is a very fast hard drive and would have just the operating system on it. Which would be your C: drive. The other drive 2TB would be for all your programs and storage. It will boot from the SSD (C: drive). The 2TB drive would be the "D" drive.

When you install anything you need to map it to the D: drive, not the C: drive. It came with Windows 8 so it should boot up. Then when you install other software you need to tell it to go to the D: drive.
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:38 PM

Is there a way to make all files (Besides things like pictures, documents and videos) save in my Hard Drive automatically?
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:44 PM

You can use libraries to organize and access files regardless of where they're stored. There are four default Library folders;
  • Documents
  • Music
  • Pictures
  • Videos
A Library default save location determines where an item will be stored when it is copied, moved or saved to the Library.

1. Open up the Library folder you'd like to change
2. In the Libray pane (above the file list), next to Includes, click Locations
3. In the Library Locations dialog box, right click tha library location that's not currently the default save location (your case "D" drive)
4. Click Set as default save location, and then click OK.

Now when you save files they will go to the D: drive

Arrange items by folder, date, and other properties. Items in a library can be arranged in different ways using the Arrange by menu, located in the library pane (above the file list) in any open library. For example, you can arrange your Music library by Artist to quickly find a song by a particular artist.

When you install programs you will have to tell it to go to the "D" drive.