Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:43 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Weird issue

Hi all,

Haven't posted on here for as long as I can remember but unfortunately now require some assistance.

Have been playing Quake Champions for some time now at 130-150fps but as of yesterday it barely gets above 70. To my knowledge, there have been no changes to the game, or my PC. That said, i did a clean install of the game, rolled back gfx driver and even did a system restore to before a point where some DirectX updates were installed but to no avail.

The only other thing I can think of is that my son has somehow done something (he's 2 and likes clicking on my keyboard).

When I tried to my PC a couple of says ago, it wouldn't. Can't remember the exact message but for some reason the primary boot device had been changed to a different drive with no OS on it. I certainly didnt do this so assuming he may have somehow done it when he was clicking away.
It was after this that i noticed my degredation in FPS performance too. Given all of the things i tried previously, i turned my attention to my CPU. In windows its showing as an "i7 3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 1.60GHz".

I don't know what the 1.60GHz means but it seems mighty low. I then checked the BIOS and saw much the same. Has something been changed with my CPU causing my GPU to bottleneck? If so, what should it be set to?

To further add to this, i ran a 3Dmark bench test. My previous score was over 9000 for the "Firestrike" test however its now only 6827. Again, with the 3dMark software, my CPU is showing as Intel Core i7-3770 1600 MHz.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old May 21st, 2019, 11:20 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
So, after looking on the net, I found out that the base frequency for my processor should have been 3400MHz not 1600MHz. Wans't sure how to change this within my BIOS so just selected the option to "load optomised defaults" which corrected the value. My game is running normally again as is the benchmarks. Question still remains as to how a 2 year old got into the BIOS and did this in the first place. If it wasn't him, how did it happen??!?!
Old May 22nd, 2019, 04:47 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
No takers Huh?
Okay I guess I'll take a crack at.

First, could you please list what type of computer you have?
Motherboard
CPU{Intel or AMD}
Video Card
Hard Drive(s) {SSD or HDD}
Memory
Operating System
Software Utilities

Taking a Wild Guess.....

I take it your computer is setup for gaming?
Do you have software setup for tweaking the motherboard?

Many Motherboard manufacturers are including software that allows the user to tweak the settings of the BIO's,
CMO's setup to get the maximum performance out of it.
Without you having to reboot your machine too adjust the settings.

These software tools are not for an amateur, and if not done correctly.
Can shorten the life of the CPU, and possibly the Memory or Hard Drives.

But since you caught it quickly, and used the "load optimized defaults".
Your computer should not of suffered any ill effects.

Suggestion:
I suggest you get your toddler his own computer to bang on.
Doesn't have to be anything expensive, or new.
Go down to the local thrift store and find one.
Here's an Example:

Signed: Ensign Tzap