Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:59 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Just a thought.... Could be nothing to do with it. Been having a look and some others who have had this issue or similar issues, sometimes it has been something to do with Microsoft office.

I have Microsoft office, 2010 I think.
Just a thought, and what you guys thought about this.

Old October 22nd, 2017, 10:03 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I downloaded from a genuine site and purchased the key separately. Depending on where you bought the key, I have seen keys work then 6 months later boom non-genuine pops up, as the key expires. I hope this isn't the case and you bought the key from a reliable source.
Yes I have read where Office can cause this problem.

If you have the original Office installation with key, why not uninstall office and see if the problem goes away.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:50 PM

The download was genuine from softonic.com or somewehere like this, maybe even cnet.com, I can't remeber which place I opted for in the end.

The activation key I purchased off a ebay shop (ebay shop - cheaper codes I think it was called), it's got thousands of sales and 99.2% positive feedback. I wasn't assuming I was purchasing a incorrect or dodgy key, as I paid a normal fee for it. It worked and all has been okay, from that point of view.

If the key has expired, how do I know? Can I check this?
How do I get a genuine key if it isn't already?

Office was installed by the company I worked for, and I don't have the key, sorry. So this I don't want to attempt, as I could lose office...

Is there a way of pinpointing what is causing this?
Old October 24th, 2017, 06:26 PM

Sorry as you can see not too many folks around here anymore. If you see that it has been activated today then the key you got was/is probably legit.

Click on Start, then Control Panel, then click on System and Security, and finally click on System. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom and you should see a section called Windows activation, which says Windows is activated and gives you the Product ID. It also includes the genuine Microsoft software logo.

Well if you don't have the original Office DVD then yes you don't want to uninstall it, but you may try and repair it.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...ows_7_or_Vista
Old October 25th, 2017, 04:11 PM

Hi Murf,

Quote:
Sorry as you can see not too many folks around here anymore.
No problem, we can see who can help me, any help I appreciate. Also I can wait and see if smurfy has any ideas when he gets back.

Quote:
Well if you don't have the original Office DVD then yes you don't want to uninstall it, but you may try and repair it.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...ows_7_or_Vista
I ran through these instructions and done the "repair" option, it took some time to complete, but did not resolve the problem.

Quote:
If you see that it has been activated today then the key you got was/is probably legit.

Click on Start, then Control Panel, then click on System and Security, and finally click on System. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom and you should see a section called Windows activation, which says “Windows is activated” and gives you the Product ID. It also includes the genuine Microsoft software logo.

I done this and this doesn't seem to be the case for me, so this is not great news by the looks of it. I've got a picture here of that section of my screen so you can see it, I've blanked out the product ID, but behind the "blanking out" there is a 20 digit/letter code:

Looking at this I guess it (the key) isn't activated/genuine/not working for whatever reason. I'm not very happy, as it was paid for and I assumed all was good. Also I'm sure where it says "27 days to activate. Activate windows now", I'm sure before it said it was activated.... Maybe it was and now it isn't.

After this I contacted Microsoft support, to discuss this and to see what was actually the case. I Requested the call back option after going on the microsoft website and navigating around via the support section to this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...t/callback/22/

They called me back, always extremely suspicious of these types of calls etc. After explaining the issue, the support guy said he wanted to connect remotely, with great hesitancy and suspicion I allowed him. I had to go through a few screens and put a code in for him to access and agree to certain terms and conditions. He said the key has been blocked. And I could upgrade to windows 10, I said that my laptop spec is un-compatible, which after he agreed and confirmed it isn't. So then it was either a new laptop or get a key which works, he said microsoft do not sell them for windows 7 themselves.

After finished the remote assistance, I could not close the his remote screen off, he said he had disconnected from my laptop! I was very suspicious by now and asking lots of questions. I had to go to task manager and close application from there, then we ended the phone conversation. This has made me incredibly suspicious. It could be all genuine, it was the microsoft website, I requested the call back etc etc....

Now, even more confused....

Can anyone help on what I can do now to get it activated, purchase a legitimate key?
What happens if it is not activated in time?

Do you think this was a legitimate guy from microsoft support, or have I just had a rogue access my computer, which could cause even more issues. Of course I hope it is all genuine and I'm over reacting.

Any help to sort this bit of a conundrum out I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Last edited by JIO22; October 25th, 2017 at 04:29 PM. Reason: amended text
Old October 27th, 2017, 01:16 AM

Well appears your Windows is not activated. Try and activate it see what happens. If the "Key" is blocked, and that is very possible, you have no recourse unless you can go back to whom ever sold it to you. Blocked means when it was sold to you it was used before, or was illegal key, even though it activated once.

I have had this happen on a system I was working on, bought what I thought was a legit key, 6 months later it deactivated. Then found out it was not legit.

You can extend the 27 days for now, but if it isn't legit it just buys you some time.
https://www.howtogeek.com/245445/how...ndows-license/

If you still have the product key you bought, click on Change Product Key and type that one in see what happens.
Old October 27th, 2017, 08:54 PM

Solved....

I have been in contact with Microsoft and the supplier, I have been issued with a new key that is OEM genuine - so I am told. All is good now with this, and I hope it lasts.

I now do have this:

Quote:
Then scroll all the way down to the bottom and you should see a section called Windows activation, which says “Windows is activated” and gives you the Product ID. It also includes the genuine Microsoft software logo.

I'll await on anyone who can help or instruct me on how I can pinpoint and fix this "windows installer" pop up...

Thank you.
Old October 29th, 2017, 06:05 PM

OK at least that is not taken care of. After solving that did you re-boot? And the Installer is still a problem?
Old October 29th, 2017, 09:09 PM

Yes, Yes and yes the installer problem still the same.

Could do with somehow being able to diagnose/pin point it to what is causing this.

Have either of you any ideas on what I can do?

Thank you.

Last edited by JIO22; October 29th, 2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old October 30th, 2017, 02:16 AM

When the pop up comes up does it say Installing.... Does it reference anything, what exactly does it say?

Also do you have the Windows 7 DVD? You could do a repair install.
Old October 30th, 2017, 09:02 PM

This is the pop up, a screen shot of it....
Right click and this pops up:

https://postimg.org/image/kq2rmm42b/

Yes I do have the DVD, I have tried doing a repair install - no joy unfortunately. Problem still here.

One thing for sure, it will do it almost every time after startup, upon your first right click of the mousepad. After this it is intermittent when it does it.
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:38 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
I have been following.. didn't want to butt in while Murf was working with you.

I strongly suspect that the Windows installer is coming from your Office 2010 installation. Specifically an issue with installer conflicting with Win 7 UAC.

As it was installed by your employer, it is probably something their IT should be supporting... since you will not have re-install media if our repair attempts break anything.

This MS Answers Thread has some information that is relevant.

What I would like to try is an Office 2010 Installation Repair run as admin.
See if you have a setup.exe in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller
Right-click on it and "Run as Administrator"
Accept any UAC warnings
Select "Repair" and continue through the repair process.
Restart.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 04:59 PM

Hi smurfy,

A couple of things to mention first, I will leave the "This MS Answers Thread" link for a minute.

Quote:
What I would like to try is an Office 2010 Installation Repair run as admin.
See if you have a setup.exe in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller
Right-click on it and "Run as Administrator"
Accept any UAC warnings
Select "Repair" and continue through the repair process.
Restart.
When I get to the Microsoft shared folder, I have got OFFICE14, OFFICE 12 and OFFICE 11 folders in there. Office Setup Controller is just another folder, and has no "run as a administrator" when I right click on it, but there are other folders/files inside it.

Do I need to click on a folder inside it and right click as admin? Also still in OFFICE 14 or the other 2?

Also, my apologies for this.... Microsoft Office 10 was installed via an offer to employees a few years back which did cost but was discounted, I took up the option for this. Since doing our work here, I have been looking and I have actually found the Microsoft Office 10 disc and installation key I have written down on the CD case. So I do have this.

So this is a option, if this would be better, to try something with the disc?

Also I have noticed I have things like Microsoft Office Project 2007/Visio 2007 etc in the "all Programs list" from the windows logo in the bottom left corner of the screen. Maybe from my previous version of Microsoft Office. Could it be getting mixed up/conflicting.

Thanks for the instructions, I won't carry any out yet as I'll wait for you to clarify those first things and/or any work with the CD that I found now if this is a preferred option.

Last edited by JIO22; November 2nd, 2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:42 PM

Office 2010 = Office 14
Office 2007 = Office 12
Office 2003 = Office 11
Office XP = Office 10

Since you have the DVD I would try the repair, you will not lose anything.

Easiest is in Programs and Features in Control Panel, select Office 2010 then hit change at the top then select Repair.

This may fix your problem
Old November 2nd, 2017, 10:04 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Ah, you have a MS HUP licence. Great that you found the DVD and key.

The point of the repair here is it should be run as admin, otherwise it will leave us in the same state.
You can try a "normal" repair but if that has no impact, you need to find the setup executable (setup.exe.
So, open the Office14 Folder and there should be an Office Setup Controller folder. Open that. You should see a bunch of files (I assume you still have show hidden files and folders enabled from your anti-malware work).

So the full path o the file should be:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\Setup.exe
It is the setup.exe file that you need to right-click, not a folder.