Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old October 18th, 2017, 09:20 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Right click mousepad + Windows installer pop ups

Hi all,

Smurfy, thanks for your comments in my previous post with olgun, to post here for help. I hope you guys can help me.

I'll explain what the problem is:

I have a issue on my laptop, when I click the right mousepad button the windows installer box flashes up, it sometimes stays on the screen for 1 or 2 seconds, other times it flashes up and no sooner it has gone again. It doesn't appear to be effecting anything else from what I can see.

For instance, this seems to almost always happen upon first start up of the laptop, and if I want to empty the contents of the recycle bin for instance, I will move the mouse cursor over to the recycle bin, and press the right button on the mousepad, this is when the windows installer box pops up, it will then disappear, then I have to right click again and usually it will work then. It isn't just on the recycle bin, I can click anywhere on the desktop and it will do this. Although it doesn't do it every time, it will always do this upon first right click after loading up laptop though. I have tried a usb mouse and it will still do the same.

This problem has been here for some time now, at least 18 months or 2 years. My laptop operating system is windows 7 now, prior to this is was vista - and this issue was there on vista. I'm certain it started to happen during some work in the past when I was getting some help off Jintan, but I'm unable to pin point when.

I have just finished this work here with olgun below, it took a while to solve these issues, but we are sorted now thanks to olgun.

With olgun

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...d.php?t=232486

This was also a thread where I had some help off Jintan, and we tried to locate the problem with the windows installer pop up, unfortunately we couldn't find the cause.

With Jintan

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...d.php?t=232093

Any help I would be extremely grateful for.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JIO22; October 19th, 2017 at 08:41 PM.

Old October 19th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Thanks.
I'm going to be away for a long weekend here but will come back to you next week if no-one else has jumped in with any input.

It's going to take some time to review those two threads to get some info on your current registry right-click options to see if we can pinpoint it.

I already see that Jintan suggested a Process Explorer observation which was one of the things I was going to suggest. We might need to see if we can write a process explorer list to a log file every 1 second for 5-10 seconds while you perform a couple of right-clicks, so we can trace the source of the installer launch command.
Old October 19th, 2017, 08:45 PM

Hi smurfy,

No problem. Enjoy your weekend away, I'll wait and pick up with you when you are ready and can reply. Of course, unless anyone replies with help.

I'll follow whatever instructions you need me to do to try and locate the issue. If we do write a process explorer list to a log file every 1 sec for that amount of time, it'll be good to do this right on start up and then right click as this would have a good chance of seeing it happen at that point, as I'm certain it will do it then.

Thank you.
Old October 19th, 2017, 09:25 PM

Also just to confirm, although I have been doing the work just recently with olgun in the thread mentioned above in post number 1. The issue with the "right click and windows installer flashing up" was here way before this work.

It has been there for some time, and as I said I think it did start after some earlier work I done possibly with Jintan, but I can't pinpoint it, sorry.
Old October 20th, 2017, 05:31 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Lets see if the Windows installer is working OK:

1. Click "Start", type in "Services.msc" (without quotes), hit <enter>

2. Double click Windows Installer

3. Set the Startup type of Windows Installer to "Manual"

4. Click "Start" to start the service

5. Click "OK"

See if it pops up now

If so then try this:

Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer to do that follow the steps provided below.

1.Click "Start", click "Run", type "MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER",(without the quotes) and then click "OK".
Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs.

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type "MSIEXEC /REGSERVER", (without the quotes) and then click "OK".

Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs, or you may briefly see an hourglass. After you run this command, the operation is complete.

See if it goes away.

Nope

Then try the System File Checker tool

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rrupted-system

If not then try the Windows Repair from Tweaking.com, I have used, its free and may fix the problem.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html
Old October 20th, 2017, 07:37 PM

Hi murf,

I'll run through each part:

Quote:
1. Click "Start", type in "Services.msc" (without quotes), hit <enter>

2. Double click Windows Installer

3. Set the Startup type of Windows Installer to "Manual"

4. Click "Start" to start the service

5. Click "OK"

See if it pops up now
I went into servcies.msc, windows installer was already as manual startup type, but it was stopped. So I started it, no pop ups came now though, when I changed this.

Quote:
Nope

Then try the System File Checker tool

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rrupted-system

I ran this from cmd, once it had finished it came back with this:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I assume from this, it did not find any issues there, and no further steps for fixes at that point from the link.

Quote:
If not then try the Windows Repair from Tweaking.com, I have used, its free and may fix the problem.
I did use this a few times with olgun, mainly for other fixes I guess.

I ran this again, but just for repairs to windows installer. It completed and restarted but unfortunately has not fixed the issue.

Thank you.
Old October 20th, 2017, 09:52 PM

Check to make sure the latest edition of Windows Installer is loaded:

Right Click on msiexec.exe in the Windows/System32 folder select Properties>details

For Windows 7 the latest version is: 5.0.7600.16385 or greater

Depending on what version hot fixes available:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...er-4-5-and-win
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:05 PM

The version I have is: 5.0.7601.23593.

I looked at those hot fixes, there are 2 for version 5.0, but the fixes for these are for different symptoms and it says to only apply if you have that issue?

Should I still apply those 2 murf?
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:13 PM

Try this clean up utility:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...shtml#download
Old October 21st, 2017, 11:42 PM

Hi Murf,

I tried that one and run it/installed it, not a great outcome.... Not sure if this has made things worse?

The window installer popup still comes up. But upon restarting I had a black screen, with only this in the bottom right hand corner of the screen: "Windows 7, Build 7601, This copy of Windows is not genuine".

I restarted laptop during that screen, and it restarted okay, so I restarted again, then it said it needed to do a system check/scan.... So it did and I don't think any issues were found, it restarted after that itself. The message was there again in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I waited and the laptop loaded and started up okay.

That message did come up once or twice when I was working with olgun, but all was good when we finished there.

I've since restarted a few more times and I have not seen the message since, also done a scan with AVG, this was all good.

I hope this is still okay here? Could infections be back?

Last edited by JIO22; October 21st, 2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 02:45 AM

Hi,

I've had a few issues....

Since that message above came up after trying that from the link. I decided to do a system restore to take it back to before doing that work above. Good idea.

Restored it to a few days ago, when all is good. Upon restart the action center flag has a red cross, AVG is not turned on. Try to turn it on, but it won't. No matter what I done it wouldn't. Tried to undo this restore now as further issues. But it won't (system restore) and it said I have to disable anitvirus, along with some error code, done this, then the system restore worked.

I'm now back where I was after doing the instruction above.

Some very odd things happening. I feel my laptop is not right now after this?
Old October 22nd, 2017, 02:47 AM

So now the Windows 7, Build 7601, This copy of Windows is not genuine you do not see anymore???

But the pop-ups are still happening?

Normally "This copy of Windows is not genuine" is caused by a update if you do see this again do this:

Go to Start menu and search for cmd, you will get cmd.exe in search result here do a Right Click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator, and you will get Command Prompt

Once the command prompt is opened now type the following command, SLMGR -REARM ,make sure you type the same command without any mistake, and also ensure that command prompt is opened in administrator mode otherwise it will not work.

Once you typed the above command in command prompt window then hit Enter button on your keyboard to execute the above command

After you hit enter a confirmation window will appear with the details of command execution as.

Command completed successfully.
Please restart the system for the change to take effect

Now Restart your computer you will not get that error again like Windows 7 build 7601 This copy of windows is not genuine.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 02:48 AM

OK you posted while I was typing. Did you have AVG at the restore point? You may have to reinstall AVG.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:19 AM

Hi Murf,

Quote:
So now the Windows 7, Build 7601, This copy of Windows is not genuine you do not see anymore???
This came on after doing the work last night (UK), and on 2 start ups after. Since restoring the system back (after a few attempts to get it back) to the point of AFTER the work in post number 9 I have not seen it since. It might come back again, I don't know. It seemed to get triggered after that work in post 9. I upgraded windows 7 myself several months back, I downloaded from a genuine site and purchased the key separately. The key worked, but could it be that what is dodgy, and causing the message?

Quote:
But the pop-ups are still happening?
Yes, still happening the same.

Quote:
Normally "This copy of Windows is not genuine" is caused by a update if you do see this again do this:

Go to Start menu and search for cmd, you will get cmd.exe in search result here do a Right Click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator, and you will get Command Prompt

Once the command prompt is opened now type the following command, SLMGR -REARM ,make sure you type the same command without any mistake, and also ensure that command prompt is opened in administrator mode otherwise it will not work.

Once you typed the above command in command prompt window then hit Enter button on your keyboard to execute the above command

After you hit enter a confirmation window will appear with the details of command execution as.

Now Restart your computer you will not get that error again like Windows 7 build 7601 This copy of windows is not genuine.

I'll do these steps anyway, as it was only last night it did come up.

Quote:
OK you posted while I was typing. Did you have AVG at the restore point? You may have to reinstall AVG.

Although I have had to uninstall AVG with the work with olgun, I'm 99.9% certain it was back on the system at the date of that restore. So that was strange.
As it was creating that issue and there was nothing I could do. That is why I had to do the restore again, to get me back to the point of after our work in post 9. Went round in a full circle. If anything has been done by that (post 9 work/link) then I guess that will be back present now as restored back to that point.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Just to confirm, this message came up after doing that at the cmd prompt. Restarted laptop okay.

One thing I have noticed since this work, is sometime on startup there is a red cross on the speaker icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Windows audio is running in services. When I click on it and turn volume up the volume works and the red cross goes. A small issue, but wondering why this has started now?