Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM

Question Extra RAM vs. Page Files

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 256mb RAM to 2gb RAM (maxing out the RAM in my 6 year old mobo with XP). Windows recommends a page file size 1.5x that of the amount of installed RAM (3069mb is recommended in my case), but after reinstalling my OS, the "initial size" and "maximum size" settings for my page files have been automatically increased to 2042mb & 4096mb respectively.

It was my understanding that adding extra RAM to your system is supposed to relieve the OS from the necessity of reserving extra HDD space for memory. If so, why then does the Page File size have to increase when you install extra RAM? This appears to be a contradiction.

Any clarification anybody could provide would be welcome, thank you.

Old April 21st, 2009, 12:11 AM

I have 4Gb of RAM and my pagefile.sys reads 4.3Gb. This is a preinstalled configuration but I think you can modify or even erase the Page File to your needs.
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:27 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
luis09 is right.
Windows will always want a pagefile by default. Whether it has enough room in memory or not. And further more, it will always use it whether it needs to or not. It's just the way its programmed.

As stated, you can reduce the size of the pagefile or even turn it off completely but windows will probably complain about it a little bit. I've done it on several occasions. It may increase performance or not. I've found that it's a case by case basis. Especially depending on how you used your computer.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM

Thumbs up

When I initially turned the page files off, I noticed they were still taking up the same amount of space on my C drive, so I reset both values to zero. Doing that freed up the HD space, and in the six weeks since I did this, my PC has been running pretty smoothly without any problems.

Thank you both for your input.
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:57 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Page file is only used when there is a shortage of Physical memory.. RAM is obviously much faster and Page file (Virtual RAM), which resides on your HDD is obviously more slower. It actually doesn't really make much of a difference when you have 2GB or so RAM and leave pagefile on..
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:36 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeScott View Post
When I initially turned the page files off, I noticed they were still taking up the same amount of space on my C drive, so I reset both values to zero. Doing that freed up the HD space, and in the six weeks since I did this, my PC has been running pretty smoothly without any problems.

Thank you both for your input.
I'm not worried about space, I run 2 page files per MS' recommendation.