Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Computer build

Hello to all.
First off I want to say hi to everyone here. I havenít been on Cyber Tech Help for about ten years, things sure have changed here.
Iím back posting because I would like to build a new desktop computer. I built one about ten years ago and was able to get lots of great information from the folks here. So Iím hoping to be able to get some help again. There seems to be so many more options out there now compared to the last time I did this.
I need to build something fast and cheap. Iím not a gamer, so that helps narrow things down. I would like to be able to build something fast. I would like to be able to have lots of RAM and multiple USB ports. I donít do any video editing or any thing like that. Just the normal internet stuff and I do use Office a lot for school.
If anyone has any suggestions on a mother board and CPU to buy, I would appreciate it. Iím also not to sure on cases. There seams to be different form factors and power supplies.
Any help you folks could give me would be much appreciated.
Gabe.

Old March 7th, 2009, 07:56 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
What's your budget? Do you have any preferences between intel or AMD, XP or Vista?
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM

For the motherboard and chip, i would like to stay around 250.00 combined. Im going to stick with XP for now, but would like to be able to upgrade to Windows 7 when it becomes available. As far as intel or AMD goes, im open to either one. When i built a computer way back when I went AMD. I had a ASUS motherboard and if i remember right i had a 1gig Thunderbird chip. Not sure if the chip is right.

Thanks for the quick responce.

Gabe
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:44 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Here are my suggestions for a complete build.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz - $164.99
Motherboard: MSI G41M-FD - $74.99
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR2 800 -$19.99(after rebate)
Case: Rosewill (nothing fancy) - $39.99
PSU: Antec Neo Power 430w - $49.99
DVD: LG DVD Burner - $22.99
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB - $64.99

Total Cost - $437.93

Not a bad little system for the money. You could find cheaper options out there but I prefer to find a good balance between cost and quality rather then just go with "bottom of the barrel" stuff. Newegg has a Q8200 quad core cpu for the same price as the cpu above so that's another option for you at a good price point. It is rated at 2.33 GHz as opposed to the 3.0GHZ of the E8400, but you do get two more cores for the same amount of money and it will work fine in the motherboard above. The OS will be extra of course, unless you already have that.
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM

unclejunebug, I looked at the components you posted above and like what I see so far. I have a hard drive, so I donít need to get one right away, but everything else is doable.
As good as the components above look, if anybody else has any suggestions, I would like to hear them as well. The more options I have too look at the better.
Thanks, Gabe.
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I suggest the gigabyte G31M-ES2L (if you dont already have a graphics card)
this little one is also a great overclocker (if you are thinking about that)
I have read some reviews on new egg, and found that the G31M-ES2L received some pretty good words
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:55 AM

It's been awhile, but i finally bought the parts i need for this build. Let me know what you guys think.

Cpu: Intel i7 920
Motherboard: Intel DX58SO
Ram:Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3-1600
I TB Seagate har drive
Antec 900 case
450 watt power supply

Still need to get DVD drive and Video card.
Old August 14th, 2009, 01:38 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Looks like bought mostly higher-end components. While you haven't yet specified a graphics card, I think you are going to need a larger PSU. 450W is on the low side for i920 with DDR3 and an advanced motherboard. Please consider this as you add your video card.
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:36 AM

Im stuck with the case and power supply for now. The case is ok, but i will be updating the power supply as soon as i can. Any ideas on a video card? Has anyone else went with this motherboard CPU combo? Do you like it or dislike it?
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:19 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
I think your motherboard / CPU are fine. The one review I have suggested the Asus Rampage is better, but I see that as very small issue. Your MB/CPU are fine. As for the GPU, depends on what you will be using it for. If you using it for gaming, you want a high-end GPU (and in that case you'll definately needed a more power PSU). If you are using it for surging the net and photoshop, you can buy a low-end GPU.

Scott