Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows Vista

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:08 AM

64 bit is a barrier?

Hi there,

I'm not too experienced with computers. I just bought a new laptop and I'm using Vista for the first time.

I wasn't able to download updates for my printer because I was on 64 bit. I then tried to download the free Norton Antivirus that comes with my internet service (Rogers) and again it will not allow me to. Does that mean that I have to pay for antivirus software or is there a way to change settings to utilize what's available for free.

Thanks for your help.

Old February 11th, 2009, 03:14 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Im not sure about norton {but in my humble opinion, theres better off out there} but i had the same problem with my printer.. a fuji xerox 203a..
Fujis own website was no help, but i did find a work around elsewhere.. if you need details let me know and ill dig them out..
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
You can download and run AVG Antivirus, it is much better than Nortons anyways.

As for your printer. What do you mean you couldn't download updates? Is the printer working, or you just couldn't get it installed at all? Have you looked at the manufacturers website and searched for 64bit drivers?
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies.

The printer works but I was unable to download all of the updates. I don't print much so I'm sure it will be fine.

I was more worried about the virus protection and losing the free protection offered by my ISP. I wouldn't have guessed that a free version would be better, but I'm on here to ask the experts, so maybe I'll download that instead. I have heard that Norton really slows things down. Thanks for the tip.

I've only tried to download two things and both have been unsuccessful because it is 64 bit. Hopefully that won't always be the case.

Thanks, again.