Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:51 AM

The computer died

Hello,

I have been having problems with this computer for the past year. I will turn it on and the screen will have red, blue, green lines on the screen. Try again and does not work. Wait a several days and the works. Now the computer will not show anything on the screen. The computer runs you can hear the fan. It is an e-machine T3406. Can I just buy a new hard drive? If so, is it even worth it.

I know very little about computers.
Any good deals out there on brand new computers. normal memory, fast processor, decent hard drive.

Thanks-

Old January 4th, 2009, 03:06 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If you DIY build one you can get very good deals and build it how you want it.

Sounds like your e-machine has either a bad MOBO or PSU.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceTech View Post
Hello,

......... I know very little about computers.
Any good deals out there on brand new computers. normal memory, fast processor, decent hard drive. Thanks-

Hello NoviceTech - welcome to the CTH Forum -

Obviously, your request above is rather broad, and is not easily answered in a short post. First, you might provide some information concerning your needs, e.g. desktop vs. laptop machine, OS to be used, applications desired (general, internet, gaming, etc. - this would impact on RAM, HD size, CPU, video card et al), and 'how much $$' you have to invest?

Second, are there any brands that you have liked in the past - Dell, HP, Gateway, or other(s) - often these large companies provide some of the best deals; finally, do some 'googling' - plenty of sites w/ computer recommendations; in addition, check out PC World & PC Mag - I subscribe to both of these publications and their websites are constantly updating their computer recommendations.

Good luck -
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
I find www.craigslist.com to be very useful for computer shopping.
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:59 AM

I forgot to mention that when I start it that it says media test failure and then goes on to say to select proper boot device. As I said I'm not an expert, but this seems to indicate hardware failure. Could I just purchase a new hard drive?

As for a new computer. No gaming. Use mostly for work, internet, stock trading.

Another general question. I recently went to best buy to inquire about multiple monitors. The guy there said I could only hook two monitors to one machine. Is this true? Could I do three or four monitors for one machine?