Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Unhappy Please Help - Hotmail Banner Issue

Hi there...I hope someone can help me here. I have always had current uptodate Norton internet Security operating, along with AVG antivirus and Anti spam. Recently my subscription ran out and I bought latest Norton Internet Security 2007. I just installed it yesterday. Now, suddenly I have advertising banners above AND beside my emails. I use Hotmail. I DID NOT have these banners before my new installation. Please please help me get rid of them!! I thankyou for your time , and any help. And I do have my popup add blocker on and firewall in properties and security.
thankyou , Suzi.BC

Old March 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Welcome!

There are a few methods of blocking ads. Are you using Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, or a different browser?

If you are using Firefox, there is an awesome extension called "Adblock Plus" that can block ads if you input a filter, several of which are available free.

If you aren't, I would recommend switching to it.

Another method is placing the address of the ad's sponsor in your Hosts file, which XP checks before making a connection. If the address of the ad is in the Hosts file, it is redirected to the address listed in the hosts file, which points to your computer, so the ad will not show up. I would recommend using Firefox and Adblock Plus, but using the Hosts file found here is an additional barrier.
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:23 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If you're using Opera, right click the page and select block content, select the banner and click on done.
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:26 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
use a hosts file like pi rules suggested - its amazing how many people dont realize how well that little file (when updated) blocks crap.

thanks to that link you provided, i appended their hosts to mine.. now i have a 843kb hosts file that blocks virtually any ad and mal-site you can imagine.

Last edited by Sinister-wolf; March 28th, 2007 at 01:32 AM.
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
No problem. Such a large host file can slow your computer. There is a note on the page that explains how to resolve the issue.

Edit: They made a .vbs (visual basic script) that installs the hosts file for you & disables the DNS client service (cause of slowdown in XP) for Windows XP only here. I looked at the code and tried it myself - that is an awesome file! You may need to restart after applying the changes.

Last edited by Pi rules; March 28th, 2007 at 01:50 AM.
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:00 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
i've never noticed this laptop ever being slow.,
the internet is usually pretty quick when I want it to be.
i'll try that file, see if i notice any other differences.

Last edited by Sinister-wolf; March 28th, 2007 at 07:00 AM. Reason: *