Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Topic Tools
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:35 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
How is this possible??

Brief history.
Been having LOADS of problems with my internet connection..{Cable}.
Problem is, i CONSTANTLY have loss of connection .
Had the ISP technicians out on 7 occasions,each and every time a waste of both his and my time as the problem is intermittent.. may run fine for a day or 2 then i will get 100% packet loss when i ping my isp. this may last for 2mins, 5 mins or 3 hours..and anywhere in between..
when i get packet loss i lose access to ANY web site im trying to view whether in Firefox or IE..
BUT.. last night, i was watching a football game via sopcast at the same time i was on a football forum.. when i refreshed the page, it came up, "cant be displayed"{meaning id lost internet connection} checked my ping CMD that was running and had 100% packet loss.. but the sopcast player was still running fine and a perfect stream.. How???

Reason im asking you bright lads and lasses from CTH is.. my isp either cant be bothered or just dont have the skill sets to work out my problem..

once again, any advice is greatly appreciated as id love to get to the bottom of this issue and enjoy hassel free internet that im paying thru the nose for, but as yet not getting..

Gary

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I encountered a similar problem recently and it was down to malware/virus. Even though the virus was cleaned using several of the usual supects some problems still remained, the most annoying being the loss of network (at the TCP/IP level, not just the internet).

Apart from temporary fixes such as reinstalling the network protocols or using LSP fix utilities to simply rebooting I couldn't find a permenant fix apart from a clean install.

Maybe someone else has a magic fix though
Old December 28th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the reply degsy..
i should have put in the OP that its not only THIS computer thats affected, its also any computer thats connected to the modem..we have 3comps , ive checked on the wifes when the problem occurs and hers gets no web browsing ability either..so i assume its related to the ISP/modem rather than localised to this computer.. but if youve any more info on the virus you had, id be keen to look into it more

Gary
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Can you still ping the modem? Can you access the modem/router (if it has a config utility).

My old router sometimes looses the internet. It happens atleast once a week and I have to unplug it and plug it back in then it's ok.
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Sorry for the late reply degsy.

Problem appears to be solved/{well the connection loss issue}

FINALLY, after god knows how many phonecalls and emails to Telstra, managed to get a Level3 technician{one that actually has a clue}.

They changed the frequency, now its been 10 days trouble free internet..
that said, im still curious as to how when getting "connection timed out" using ping CMD i was still able to view sopcast stream..