Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old December 4th, 2017, 09:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Corrupt Registry

When booting up goes directly to corrupt registry error and shuts down. Can't get to point to boot up on cd. Can't get to safe mode or cmos command prompt before shut down. I am totally lost here. Please help or is it useless and need to just throw it away? If so is there anyway to get to the hard drive to save info?
On this computer I have a slot to put extra hard drive. The person I bought this pc from use to work on hard drives.

Thank you kuzzz

The pc I'm trying to bring up has win 7 on it and I have the win 7 disc.

Old December 4th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Jill

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Hi Kuzzz
You say that you can't get to point to boot up on CD. When you first turn on the computer are you able to press DEL to see if it will take you in BIOS to see if the computer has been set to boot from the CD?
If you have a USB hard drive enclosure you should be able to get the hard drive out of the computer, install it into the enclosure, and then plug it into a different computer to see if you can salvage your files.
You say that you have an extra hard drive slot in the computer that you are able to use.
If you install it into the extra hard drive slot I would go into the BIOS after turning on the computer to make sure that the second hard drive is recognized, and also to make sure that the computer doesn't try to boot from it. If you have a USB hard drive enclosure you probably would be better off using that.
Old December 5th, 2017, 01:59 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi IPR
There isn't enough time to hit anything when it is booted up but I know it is set up to boot up first on cd then windows.
I have a slot on the top of my pc and all I have to do is insert a hard drive into it.
If I have this pc already running I think the hard drive I put in the slot just comes up as another drive. I don't want to boot up on it cause I'm afraid maybe there is something wrong with the hard drive that caused the registry error.
So is there nothing I can do to fix the registry problem since I can't get past the error?
Thank you
kuzzz
Old December 5th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Jill

It sounds like you have a removable hard drive rack in your computer. After you boot up the computer I would put the hard drive from the other computer in the removable rack. If there's nothing wrong with the hard drive you should be able to click on it in My Computer to see if you can access any files you want to keep.
Try that first.
Old December 5th, 2017, 07:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

Yes I think that is what I have. As far as ever being able to bring the other pc up? If I replace the MB would that get rid of the registry problem?
Thank you
kuzzz
Old December 5th, 2017, 08:30 PM
Jill

Kuzzz
I doubt the motherboard is causing the registry problem. Bear in mind that you may have to buy a new copy of Windows 7 if the version you have now is OEM, and you replace the motherboard. Don't jump the gun.
Is the computer a name brand such as a Dell or HP? Do you know if it originally came with Windows 7 or was it upgraded from XP or Vista? If it's a name brand you can Google the model number to see what the original specs were.
Here's what I would do. First thing is to put the computer's hard drive into your other computer's removable hard drive rack after the computer has already been booted up.
Make sure the hard drive is accessible in Computer, and see if you can scan the drive with your antivirus program, and anti malware program just to make sure that something hasn't messed with it. After you've done that try to get your docs and photos off of it.
Come back and let us know how that goes before you toss the computer out. If that goes ok then there are other steps to take.

Last edited by IPR512; December 5th, 2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old December 6th, 2017, 12:37 AM
CTH Subscriber

The PC was built by a local shop. Windows 7 was installed when built I have all the original specs. I will run Norton Security on the hard drive. Do I still need to remove all the doc's and pic's off the hard drive if the drive is in good shape? (no malware or virus')
I'll post back after running norton.

Thanks
kuzzz
Old December 6th, 2017, 01:31 AM
Jill

I think you should make copies of whatever you want to keep that is on that drive just in case we have to format it before putting it back in the computer it came out of.
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

I have norton doing a full system scan on the drive now. While thats going I went into users to check out how big a flash drive I would need to copy doc's pictures and other things of importance. When I clicked on owner it says I don't have permission to access that folder. Is there a way around this? Or can I give myself permission? Since I didn't boot up with that drive I can't enter the password.

Thank you
kuzzz
Old December 6th, 2017, 05:34 AM
CTH Subscriber

Scan finished with no virus' or malware. So now the problem getting into the users owner folder where pic's and doc's are.

Thanks
kuzzz
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Jill

I was almost hoping that a virus had messed things up, and the scan would fix it.
Damn computers, things can never be easy.
Try putting the hard drive back in the computer it came out of, and then try this.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-c41c291b90a6
Do you happen to have another hard drive laying around that you could reinstall Windows 7 on if the above doesn't work? If so you could try that, and still have the drive with the registry problem as a spare.
Old December 6th, 2017, 07:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

I had windows do a disc check on the drive before it booted up and it deleted 6 errors and repaired indexing and found one bad cluster at the end of the drive. Put the drive back into the PC and did not get an error but now right after powering up the CPU fan stops and the PC shuts down and after a minute repeats and now getting a NO DVI SIGNAL. They say things come in sets of 3 so if I get these two problems fixed I should be home free fingers crossed. Oh and I don't have another HD.

Thanks
kuzzz
Old December 6th, 2017, 07:56 PM
CTH Subscriber

Oh and I know the monitor is fine hooked it up to a laptop and worked no prob
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Jill

Make sure you didn't loosen any cables while you were inside the case. Check every one of them including the power cable to the power supply, and make sure where you connect the heavy power cord outside the computer is pushed into the back of the computer.
Old December 6th, 2017, 09:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

does it matter if you use the white ended or blue ended cable for your monitor?