Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 21st, 2017, 12:08 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
I just tried system restore again after restarting and it came up much quicker, not sure how long it took as I left the laptop for a bit, but certainly was quicker than before. Around 10-20 mins I would say.

Also posted at end of page 2.

Last edited by JIO22; January 21st, 2017 at 12:24 AM.

Old January 21st, 2017, 12:52 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Do you have a 7 product key? Once you upgrade (which will, yes, fix all the problems) there is no reverting back, so need to be able to finish things and activate it. And if you have the product key, then sure, no reason for us to continue this current fix.
Old January 21st, 2017, 01:40 AM

I haven't got a key yet, but will either get one tomorrow or purchase one if I can't. I've read up you can install windows 7 and have 30 days to enter the product key. So this gives me plenty of time.
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:33 PM

Hi Tom,

I've had a think.... I think it's best to finish off here and complete what we have been doing here with the fix, if you think there is some more to do.

The laptop is working much better now than when we started off, so some good signs.

Is there anything you would like me to do next to help complete what we are doing?

Maybe at a later date I can look at upgrading to Windows 7.

Thanks,

Ben.
Old January 21st, 2017, 05:46 PM

FYI - you are not mandated to activate Windows 7 within 30 days, but after 30 days, your desktop background goes black and you have to put up with not genuine nags.

Shy of doing a Vista in place upgrade, where you upgrade Vista to Vista, and thus correct a lot of Windows problems, you can also just reinstall Service Pack 2, which often corrects them as well. Most Vista systems did not come with SP2 installed.

Go to Control Panel - Programs and Features/Uninstall a Program. In that display, click the upper left "View installed updates".

When that list populates, locate the Service Pack update.

If one is there, next go here and download Service Pack 2 to your desktop.

Then go back to "View installed updates", double click on Service Pack, and allow the uninstall, and reboot after.

After the reboot, install Service Pack 2.

Doing this will remove all subsequent updates, so you will have a lot of updating to do afterwards.
Old January 21st, 2017, 10:09 PM

Hi Tom,

As the laptop is running pretty nice, I'm in 2 minds on what to do... I want to see what you think.

At the moment the only issues left are:

System Restore is slow to open
Windows update either isn't updating or takes an extremely long time to.
(I haven't tried overnight yet, but it has been running for the last 9hrs and nothing yet).

I can do the above what you have said, then have a lot of updating etc to do, or shall I just bite the bullet and try and carry out the Windows 7 upgrade?

Either way it's a case of installing some new software/updates to fix. If I go with the latter then the upgrade will be done aswell.

I'm thinking if the way to fix the last 2 issues is by uninstalling things and re-installing then updating, I might as well go for the upgrade?

Ben.

Last edited by JIO22; January 21st, 2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old January 21st, 2017, 10:21 PM

I've just had a look and I cannot see the service pack 2 update in that list, I know I have it, it confirms this in the system details.

If I can't find it, uninstalling it could be a problem for me.
Old January 21st, 2017, 11:34 PM

Hi again Tom,

I've just tried system restore again and it took 5 minutes exactly to open, so this is very good. I'm going to go for the upgrade to Windows 7 now as it is only the update issue that still stands and hopefully this will be solved by the upgrade.

I'll post back once done - hopefully all goes well.

Cheers,

Ben.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:32 AM

Okey doke.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 09:24 PM

Hi Tom,

Just a quick update....

I've ran the upgrade to Windows 7, all went fairly smoothly so that was good. Just in the process of backing things up etc and it's taking time.

Once I'm sorted, if there is anything else for me to do we can continue.

Thanks for your help.

Ben.
Old January 24th, 2017, 01:13 AM

Actually, now's the time for me to have a Mod move this thread to the CTH Windows 7 forum. The Malware Removal forum is restricted to answers by only specific staff, so limits the input of others.
Old January 24th, 2017, 05:09 PM

Have you done any Windows updates yet? They can take quite a while too.

Right click Computer, left click Manage, then click Device Manager. Anything on that list show with a yellow mark (meaning the driver isn't installed)?

You can now download and use the free MS Security Essentials antivirus, but if the system is not activated in 30 days, I think Security Essentials either no longer will update, or may even turn off. Can't recall off the top right now.
Old January 24th, 2017, 05:14 PM

Hi all,

First off, I want to thank Jintan for all is help so far and getting me to here, moving me to the correct forum. So thankyou Jintan, I'm very grateful for your help and how quick you were at replying to me each day.

As you will see from above I had some issues, these are resolved now. And now I have upgraded from vista to windows 7.

After doing this there are lots of updates etc to do. The one issue at the moment I have noticed is the action center flag icon on the taskbar, when I hover over it, it says "back up in progress". When I go into action center it says that a back up is in progress. When I click on "details" just below where it says back up, the button is highlighted for me to click to start a back up (no back up running). It also says a back up has never been run.

Now, when I upgraded a few days back. This back up prompt came up from the action center, so I done it. It took an extremely long time to do and had to leave it on over night and during the next day etc. At some point during this the system wanted to windows updates too.

Basically after all the time the back up has done nothing and the state of it conflicting from one screen to the next.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to stop or cure this please?

Much appreciated,

Ben.

Edit: Thanks for the info above Jintan, I will do. Yes a lot of updates 224 windows updates to start with, so getting through them now but taking a long time.

Cheers.

Last edited by JIO22; January 24th, 2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:41 PM

Hi,

I have started the back up again and then stopped it, this seems to of removed the "back up in progress" status now.

I've also switched of so that back up isn't monitored in the action center, so no continual messages.

I'll report back once I've tried the windows back up again, to see if it will complete.

Thanks.
Old January 28th, 2017, 12:36 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted to update, I'm currently getting some guidance on another problem in the malware forum by Jintan - so some changes could be made there also. Once these issues are solved and the laptop is good, I'll run the windows back up again to check if it completes ok.

Thanks,

Ben.