Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 19th, 2014, 05:05 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Keyboard & mouse not working on startup

I have an HP desktop with Windows 7. Many times when I boot up the keyboard and mouse will not work and I have to reboot. The same thing happens when I put the PC to sleep and reawaken. Iíve removed the drivers and when I rebooted it reinstalled them. I have run registry cleaners and antimalware software and cleaned up all problems. Any ideas?

Old July 19th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
go into your bios and see if the clock is right, if it is wrong, thenreset it and check it again hours later. If it has the wrong time again, it may be time to replace the bios battery on the motherboard. keyboard and mouse are usually the first things that start going.

did you try the keyboard and mouse on another computer? or try another keybaord? are they wireless or wired? did you try a different usb port?
Old July 20th, 2014, 01:33 AM

the time is slow about 15 seconds to my atomic clock. I guess I can try to set it exact. the PS/2 keybd that originally came with the computer was the first thing to start not working on powering up. After a month or so the mouse has now developed the same problem (just loses it light). They are both wired. I have connected a usb keyboard but I get the same problem with it.
Old July 20th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Certifiable Bum

forgot to ask - still have the problem in safemode?

since the problem is with both types of keyboards, then it may be best to go ahead and replace the battery, if nothing else to just eliminate that possibility.
Old July 20th, 2014, 02:18 AM

I have not tried safemode. I can do that now. I removed the battery (Cr2032) and checked the voltage. It measured 3.17 volts so I'm assuming its not the problem.
Old July 20th, 2014, 02:58 AM

I brought up safe mode and all seemed ok, but it did not allow me to put the PC to sleep (not an option in safe mode) so I could not really tell if I still had the problem. When it sleeps it will fail to allow the keyboard to work upon wakening probably about half the time.
Old July 20th, 2014, 03:27 AM
Certifiable Bum

you said you had the problem with just booting, and if it is not doing it in safemode, then something at startup may be causing the problem. try turning everything off not needed, then turn them back on one at a time and see if you can find what is causing the problem.

also see the following and see if the links there are of any help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...w7itprogeneral
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:16 AM

Actually, I always use to just put my computer to sleep, and it would not react to the keybd to wakeup. If it did, then it would not take any keybd commands such as typing letters into Mozilla or Word or Excel.

I've just added .5GB of RAM, up to 3.5 now, and it still shows CPU usage at 100% on startup of Mozilla, all the while the mouse light is blinking so power is cut to it during startup. My Mozilla always opens about 5-6 tabs on startup. I guess I should reduce the tabs and perhaps add another .5GB of RAM.
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:21 AM
Certifiable Bum

do you have a lot of extensions and or toolbars in mozilla? if so, try disabling those to see if it helps.
Old July 20th, 2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
PS/2 keybd
This would seem to be a pretty old system for it to come with a PS/2 keyboard. So I am guessing you upgraded it to W7 at some point. Did it work fine after upgrading or is that when the problem started? And you said it does this "many times". That suggests some times it works fine. Can you see a pattern? Does it matter how long the system is asleep?

Does it always go to sleep when idle for the preset time? Or does it frequently fail to go to sleep too?

Quote:
I removed the battery (Cr2032) and checked the voltage. It measured 3.17 volts so I'm assuming its not the problem.
How did you measure it? Note that ALL power supplies need to be tested under a proper load to be measured correctly. These include PC power supplies, car engines, and batteries. So if you used a designated battery tester, then I would agree the battery is probably fine. But if you used a multimeter, they do NOT present a load to the device being measured and therefore, you can NOT assume the battery is good. A weak battery under no load can "appear" to be good, but as soon as you put a load on it, the voltages drop significantly.

The ONLY way to properly test the CMOS battery with a multimeter is with the battery still in circuit. And unless you are a qualified technician with very steady hands, I do not recommend sticking highly conducted and sharp meter probes into the heart of the computer.

Since these batteries only cost a couple dollars, and since this computer seems to have a few years behind it, I would replace the battery anyway.

Also, note there are several "Wake on..." options in the BIOS Setup Menu. These include such things as Wake on LAN, Wake on Keyboard and Wake on Mouse. When set, and when the computer is in standby mode (plugged into the wall, but not powered up) these I/O (Input/Output) interfaces are constantly being monitored by the chipset for any activity like pressing a key or mouse button, wiggling the mouse, or some [hopefully authorized] remote access attempt over the network.

Normally, the wake on keyboard and mouse options are enabled by default. But since the battery may be suspect, and especially since you removed the battery (thus resetting the BIOS) I would check to ensure they are still enabled. I do not recommend enabling the Wake on LAN option, for security reasons.

Quote:
all the while the mouse light is blinking so power is cut to it during startup.
What? If the light is blinking, it IS getting power.
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:21 PM

It worked fine after installing W7 one yr ago on a new HD. I haven't been able to see a pattern. Sometimes it does not go to sleep. I usually put it to sleep manually before bedtime.

Yes, I did remove the CMOS battery and test with a multimeter. I will replace the battery. I understand about the load. I will check the BIOS wake on settings.

When I said the power was being cut to the mouse, I meant during startup it was going on and off the optical mouse instead of remaining powered up during the startup.

Thanks for your help!
Old July 20th, 2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
When I said the power was being cut to the mouse, I meant during startup it was going on and off the optical mouse instead of remaining powered up during the startup.
Pretty sure that is normal.

When you first boot, you are using generic USB and mouse drivers maintained in the BIOS. Then when the boot disk is first touched and Windows first starts to load, those drivers are replaced by the generic Windows drivers. And finally, depending on your installation, those drivers may be replaced again with hardware specific drivers. All these replacements can result in interruption of support for both that USB port, and the mouse (or keyboard), and a flashing light.

One common reason for sleep problems is Homegroup and media sharing. Do you have sharing enabled on ANY of the computers connected to your network?
Old July 21st, 2014, 01:43 AM

No sharing enabled
Old July 21st, 2014, 01:44 AM

Just got home. Keybd awakened the PC but would not allow me to key in the password. No entry went in. The mouse was also dead.
Old July 21st, 2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Keybd awakened the PC but would not allow me to key in the password. No entry went in.
Hmmm, never seen that before. Not sure how it could detect the keypress to awaken, then not after that. Very odd.

Is that with a new CMOS battery?

Are you using a USB to PS/2 interface adapter or are the keyboard and mouse connected to a USB port?

And just to verify, once you do get the system properly booted/awake, do the keyboard and mouse work properly?

See if anything in here helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266283