Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:47 PM

restoring files on windows 7

So I backed everything up from my old OS (windows xp media center) just like the microsoft site told me to....

And now that I've upgraded to windows 7, I can't seem to restore those files.

I even downloaded the micorsoft update standalone package (Windows6.1-KB974674-x86) which gets me to the backup/restore wizard... but after running that for half an hour, I get told that "some" files couldn't be restored.

"Some." Right. More like all. Doesn't even seem like anything happened.

Do you folks have any ideas? Would appreciate the help. In retrospect I'm kind of glad I got a subscription here, even though I didn't know how much of a pain this was going to be....

Thanks....

Old October 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
KB974674 should have done the job halleck3. Have you installed the software that created the files that were backed up? If not, do so and try again.

If you have and still no luck, try the suggestions here.
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:42 PM

AnnMarie, thanks once again for the quick response. KB974674 doesn't seem to work for some reason. After the first time (when it seemed nothing happened) now it just pops up a box with "searching for updates on this computer" and that's all it will say(even after a couple hours).

As far as the software that created the files, do you mean I'd have to buy word, excel, photo editor, etc., again? They were on there before I upgraded... does this mean they're not in the extrenal drive (my apologies if this is a stupid question...). I could do that, but it looks like absolutely nothing has been copied over from the extrenal drive, even the things which weren't word/excel/picture files, etc.

Thanks!
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

It's necessary to perform a Custom Install (Clean Install) to upgrade from WinXP to W7 so yes, any software programs will have to be reinstalled.

Exactly how did you back up the files to the external drive? Copy them across or follow the method here?
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:01 AM

I thought I used that method online - the one where you do it with easy transfer. There was no problem with the transfer - I now have a 105 GB .bkf file on the external drive, and I don't have any reason to suspect the files aren't there.

The problem is just that I can't seem to restore the files. I keep getting "unable to create the file" and "access denies" messages when I do try to bring them back....
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:40 AM
CTH Subscriber

I really think you used the File and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP to move your files. Windows Easy Transfer files have a .mig extension. A .bkf file is created by XP's backup and it's not compatible with Windows 7.

From the link I posted earlier.

Quote:
Don't use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP to move your files. It isn't compatible with Windows 7, and if you use it, you won't be able to restore your files in Windows 7. Use Windows Easy Transfer instead.
This means you will need to use the Windows NT Backup Restore Utility to restore the files. If you look at the link it says that a hotfix is available for it but I'm not sure if that is outdated information or not.

When you run it, do you get an error regarding Removable Storage Management?
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:03 AM
CTH Subscriber

I just had a thought. Have you tried running NT Backup as Administrator?

If not, do so and see if it helps.

To do this, click on Start > Search Programs and Files and type ntbackup.exe in the search box. When the file appears, rightclick on it and click on "Run as Administrator".
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:23 AM

Just tried the second suggestion. I got an error message saying "Entry point not found" at top and then:

The procedure entry point pSetupAppendStringToMultiSz could not be located in the dynamic link library SETUPAPL.dll.
Old October 26th, 2010, 04:55 AM
CTH Subscriber

Which suggestion are you referring to halleck3? Do you mean the suggestions on the winhelponline page that I posted the link to or finding the executable and choosing "Run As Administrator"?
Old October 26th, 2010, 05:32 AM

Sorry, I should've been more specific. I meant that I ran NT Backup as an administrator. That was when I got that error.

I tried it without admin but the messages I got weren't compatible with the ones detailed in the how-to guide. I think perhaps you're right and it's outdated. I wonder if they solved this problem and I'm just not aware of it?
Old October 26th, 2010, 05:57 AM
CTH Subscriber

I dont know if that is the case though halleck3. It's just that I noticed the hotfix link at the top of the page but it doesnt seem to go anywhere so it may just be referring to the download.

The problem may just be that the relevant software is not installed or it could even be a permissions issue. Are there other files on the external drive and if so, can you copy them across to W7?

If so, there is a good tutorial here on how to use Windows NT Backup. Try restoring some jpgs or txt files. Any luck?
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:28 PM

The external drive's got pretty much everything that was on my old OS, so yes, there are plenty of files that should be read here in win7 - movies, pictures, songs, etc. But so far I've not been able to move anything. I even tried click and drag at one point and it looked like I got everything... but it was just a bunch of empty folders with the right names on them.

Following your suggestion, I tried the Windows NT backup with instructions here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...ndows-7-vista/

Followed steps 1 and 2, but when asked to (3) Run the NTBackup.exe folder, well... there was no such folder. There were nine other items, but not a single one of them was an .exe, and not one seemed to do anything. Sigh....

Thanks for your patience, though.
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

You are not doing something correctly halleck3. I just downloaded nt5backup.cab and it does contain a folder with NTBackup.exe in it. Did you extract the files from the cab file?

I use Winrar (you can download a trial version here) but there are free utilities out there that will extract files from a cab (7-zip for example).
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:25 AM

Okay. Did it right this time, and then ran.

Everything went as it was supposed to as far as the instructions went... once again the process took about an hour, and once again at the end the box gave the "Completed with Skipped Files" message. I then checked the folder I was copying to: very, very few of my files made it.

There was also a report log on notepad which came with the restore... it shows all the skipped files, most of which have messages like:

Warning: Unable to create "C:\Users\Walt\Desktop\New folder (2)\INFCACHE.1" - skipped.
Reason: Access is denied.

or:

Warning: Insufficient privilege for the file B03HL01A.DLL - skipped.

or:

Unable to create the file zPicture 002.jpg.
Unable to create the file zPicture 003.jpg.
Warning: Unable to create "C:\Users\Walt\Desktop\New folder (2)\Documents and Settings\Walt\My Documents\My Pictures\P40 - Hawaii" - skipped.
Reason: Access is denied.

Any idea why access would be denied? This happened to literally thousands of files.
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:58 AM
CTH Subscriber

It sounds like a permissions issue.

Give it another try but this time, rightclick on NTBackup.exe and choose "Run as Administrator".

If you still have the same problem, try taking Ownership of the .bkf file on the external drive and granting your Account Full Control. See here for more help.