Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 5th, 2017, 05:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question Unable to open files

Hello there, the last three weeks have been upgrading my computer in the upgrading from Windows vista home premium to Windows 7 professional. It looks like I accidentally did a wiping and install. I've lost some programs and some data. Now I find myself unable to open some files. The files have locks on them. Which I don't understand. The question is 1: why are they locked? 2: is there a program that Microsoft windows has for me to unlock these files?

Old April 5th, 2017, 05:43 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If a folder's ownership is SYSTEM, the icon would be appears.
To remove the icon, please change the ownership of the folders.

Right click the folder, click Properties
Click the Security tab
Click Advanced
Click Change Permissions
Check Both boxes to Include inheritable permissions, and to Replace all child object permissions
Click Apply then click Yes
Wait for the list to refresh
Remove all permissions that say <not inherited>

Or here is a tool that should work:
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ndows-7-a.html
Old April 5th, 2017, 06:18 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thank you very much for that website. I use what they recommended and it did unlock my files thank You again. you guys always come through for me.
Old May 26th, 2017, 07:39 PM

I use a reg file you can find by searching, it's called takeownership.reg after merging it you have a takeownership link in the right click context menu.
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hello there, although I did finally get the locks off my files I find that the icon (which was Windows Excel icon) is now Adobe Acrobat reader DC icon.The Adobe Acrobat reader DC Could not open it . I have no idea how they got exchanged. I have office 2010 on my computer which I used for those files. Can you help me please

Last edited by mel3986; February 1st, 2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Add contents
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:39 PM

Maybe if you right click on the file with the adobe icon and select "open with" you can browse to your excel exe file in program files or program files (x86). Since I do not use excel that's as far as I can go there. But I would recommend if your not sure which exe file to use from excel make sure to uncheck the box that says to "always use" this file. That way it will just get added to the right click context menu but will not be set as default. Then when you find the one that works, do it again and set it as default "always use" and then your icon should change from adobe to excel and your good to go. This is a standard way to set or change the default program for nearly any type of file including audio, video and photos.

Also if you haven't set your Folder Options to show extensions for known files types it might be hard to locate the exe file. In Windows Explorer click on Tools > Folder Options > View and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" I also uncheck "hide protected operating system files" and change the Hidden files selection to "Show hidden Files, Folders and drives". These changes give me better access to Windows Explorer files and folders. Thanks MS for the silly default settings.

Last edited by Appzalien; February 1st, 2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 12:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

Thank you for answering so quickly. I tried some of the things that was suggested. I ended up changing the icon to explore. But when I went to open it first had to be downloaded (from where I don't know) and it was encrypted. I went to my Microsoft excel program and opened another file which I was using, then tried to open up the file that was encrypted and it was unencrypted. I don't understand why all this happened. I never made any changes to the icons. Thank you again for your suggestion and help. If you can think of an explanation of why this happened please let me know.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 01:42 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Try repairing Office.

For 2007 Office programs that use menus

1. Start the 2007 Office program.
  2. On the Help menu, click Office Diagnostics.
  3. Click Continue.
  4. Click Run Diagnostics.
  5. If a problem is identified, Office Diagnostics may offer to run the repair process.
For 2007 Office programs that use the Ribbon

1. Start the 2007 Office program.
  2. Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click program_name Options.
  3. In the program name Options dialog box, click Resources, and then click Diagnose next to office diagnostics.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. Click Run Diagnostics.
  6. If a problem is identified, Office Diagnostics may offer to run the repair process.
Office 2003
Method 1: Run Detect and Repair on the Help Menu

1. On the Help menu in any Office program, click Detect and Repair.
  2. Click Start.
Note To restore program shortcuts to the Start menu, verify that the Restore my shortcuts while repairing check box is selected.
Method 2: Run the Detect and Repair Tool from Add or Remove Programs

1. Click Start, and then click
    Control Panel.
  2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs, click
    Microsoft Office 2003, and then click
    Change.
  3. In the Microsoft Office 2003 Setup dialog box, click Reinstall or Repair, and then click
    Next.
  4. Click either Reinstall Office or
    Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation, and then click Install.
Note If you choose to detect and repair problems in your Microsoft Office installation, click to select the Restore my Start Menu Shortcuts check box to rebuild your Microsoft Office shortcuts
Old March 31st, 2018, 12:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

Morning guys,

I just received an email from Cyber Tech Help with a person looking for help. I have no idea why this was sent to me. I'd tried to find this person didn't leave a name or where they posted it. When I click on the link in this email brings me to this thread. I keep coming back to this thread and and I can't find this posting. I copied it from this email and paste it below;

Hello mel3986,

EmurryHara has just replied to a topic you have subscribed to entitled - Unable to open
files - in the Windows 7 forum of Cyber Tech Help Support Forums.

"I upgraded to Photoshop CS2 and notice that multiple psd files I had saved previously now appear to be prefs files and will not open? Any suggestions as to how to recover there?"

I don't how you can find this person. I know I had kind of the same problem you guys help me out with that in the postings above. If you find this person sent information may help them.

Last edited by mel3986; March 31st, 2018 at 01:27 PM.