Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Topic Tools
Old October 27th, 2017, 04:04 PM

Wifi (wireless card?) keeps disconnecting from internet

Hi!

My wifi keeps disconnecting on a very new laptop that I recently got. To give an example: I will be surfing the web or playing an online game and then I lose internet connection for maybe 20 seconds, enough to disconnect me from what I'm doing. It doesn't happen to any other device in the apartment, so I don't think it has anything to do with the router or network itself.

It definitely seems to be worse when I start downloading a large file (e.g. a game off of steam or when downloading a driver for something). I thought maybe it was a power-saving thing, but after doing some research and playing with the wireless adapter settings in the Device Manager, I feel like the problem is more deep-rooted than that. Is there any way you recommend I can diagnose what is wrong? I have no clue how to fix this and it's driving me insane.

Best,
Circa

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong message board for this, please let me know if I should move the topic.

Last edited by circasurvive; October 27th, 2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Adding a postscript to say if I should post to a different message board

Old October 28th, 2017, 03:28 PM

How new is this notebook? If still under warranty, it is important not to do anything that might void the warranty.

Did the problem occur from day 1? Does the problem happen when in the same room with the WAP (wireless access point - typically integrated with wireless router)?
Old October 28th, 2017, 08:39 PM

I got the laptop in late May 2017, and it has a 1 year parts warranty with lifetime tech support.

It has indeed happened since day 1, but I was so excited to have my laptop (and got it less than 1 week before a trip), so I didn't immediately want to send it back. Now enough time has passed that makes me feel uncomfortable for having it like this.

My apartment is very small, so while technically I am in a different "room" as the WAP, I'm still only 15 feet away from it.
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
have you gone to the laptops manufacturers website to see if they have newer drivers? what is the full laptop model number.
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:28 PM

Here is a link to the site where I bought the laptop which should have most of the specs.
https://www.gentechpc.com/Sager-NP81...ger-np8157.htm

It is a Sager NP8157 (Clevo P650HS-G).

I have updated the driver of the wireless card (Intel Wireless-AC 8260) multiple times and have had the same issue for months. Most recently I updated the driver before I made this post yesterday, and the problem continued. However, there are other drivers that are probably out of date. Do you recommend updating other drivers specifically (is there a way to mass update all drivers)?
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:56 PM

Ok I feel like an idiot.

I tried to replicate the problem by downloading a game on Steam again. This time, I had my computer open (next to my laptop) and my phone next to me, all connected to the same wireless network.

Once the download started, my internet connection was once again disrupted. I got a yellow triangle sign with an exclamation mark on top of the wireless icon in the bottom right taskbar. No web pages would load and the download stopped.

However, both my phone and my desktop computer were then unable to open any web pages as well (my desktop also got the yellow triangle sign with the exclamation mark).

So now I'm thinking this has nothing to do with my laptop, but instead with either the router or the network itself. Do you guys know how I can diagnose this? Sorry for being a moron.
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:28 PM
Certifiable Bum

just went to the manufacturers website and look like they had not updated their drivers since February. Where did you get your driver? usually with laptops, you should only get drivers from the manufacturers website

http://www.sagernotebook.com/drivers.php?cat=655

one thing you can try if you had not, does the laptop disconnect when using another hotspot like at mcdonalds or work?
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:48 PM

To get my drivers, I went to Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 -> Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver. On this screen, it says that the driver date is 6/25/2017, the driver provider is Intel, the version is 19.71.0.4. On the manufacturer's website that you linked, the driver version they have is 19.20.0.6 as of 2/3/2017.

Do you think I should roll back the driver to that version (i.e. download the driver off of the Sager website)?

I have used this laptop at my parent's house which is the only other wireless network, and yes, it also disconnected from that network when trying to download large files. Actually, come to think of it, that was the first time I thought that it was probably my laptop and not my network.
Old October 29th, 2017, 12:12 AM
Certifiable Bum

for clarification - is it only happening with downloads? you can roll back to see if it helps.
Old October 29th, 2017, 12:18 AM

It happens during downloads and also it happens sometimes at the start of an online game (only right as the game transitions from muti-person lobby to mutli-person in-game screen, otherwise I don't get disconnected mid-game).

I will roll back and try a download, see what happens, and report back.
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:18 AM

I rolled back the driver, and my download went as smoothly as I've seen it go. During the ~20 minute download, after about 10 minutes there was a 10 second brief pause where I thought things might go badly but I never seemed to lose connection. Thanks! I hope that solves it.