Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Topic Tools
Old August 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM

2000pro Wallpaper Only

I have an old laptop that was working fine when but when it was turned on the last time all i get is my wall paper no icons no tool bar nothing i've tried everything . start button doesn't bring up programs or any thing do i need to format and start all over. It has win98 and win2000pro and if i select 98 it will function normally but i want to be in 2000pro.......help

Old August 17th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Before you re-install, try the repair function off of the win200disc. Are you protected as far as anti-virus and malware goes??
Old August 17th, 2005, 05:34 PM

that disc is at work is that repair function on winxp disc? virus is through msn prem. and i don;t know what malware is. how do i get rid of the win98 os?

Last edited by firemaneil; August 17th, 2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:54 PM

Try hitting ctrl-shift-esc and starting 'explorer.exe' (no quotes, from File-New Task).

Also, try booting into safe mode (Tap F8 at startup) and run Virus/spyware scans from there.

Make sure that the Remote Procedure Call service is activated (In safe mode)...I've heard of that causing similar problems. (Control Panel->Admin tools->services)
Old August 18th, 2005, 04:20 PM

when i pressed control-shift esc i got task manager has been disabled by the administrator. when i go to safe mode it is the same except for the "safe mode"s in the corners.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:22 PM

The only way I know of to get rid of 98 is to reformat and reinstall. Malware is just short for malicious software, (viruses, spyware, adware). There should be a repair utility on your installation disc.