Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows ME

Notices

Topic Tools
Old June 10th, 2006, 05:37 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
can't upgade

I recently replaced the mother board on my Gateway Brookings computer. I can re-install the original ME but can't upgrade to 2000 or XP. I ran 2000 for 3years on the old board. Gateway says new board is upgradable. I get the dreaded blue screen after install.

Old June 10th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
you are getting the blue screen when you try to install what? At what point of the installation process do you get the blue screen?
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:33 AM

I'm trying to install (upgrade) to Win 2000. It install and then says setup is now starting win 2000. the screen blacks and comes back this the blue error screen.I get the semm thoing with XP
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

How much memory is in that computer? For w2k, you need more than the 32mb. And depending on the computer specs of this computer XP won't install on some older computers without problems such as you're seeing. Course this also could be harddrive problems and has nothing to do with the operating system or memory amount.

Post what the computer is, what's in it, as far as memory, harddrive, processor/cpu and how old.
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:42 AM

thereis 512 of memory. Everything is the same but the new board. IT was running 2000 when the old board quite