Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old August 23rd, 2019, 11:19 AM

OS upgrade

I still believe that “better” is the greatest enemy of “good” but I am already tired to be the laugh of the whole Internet, using WinXP system and therefore I decided to try and upgrade the OS. But now my question is to which system upgrade and how to do it .
I am 96 and my work on the computer is simple – everyday chores, letter writing and sending, bank account and grocery orders, sometime a movie or reading a scientific article.
Can you give me any advice – to which OS should I upgrade and how to do it in most shortest and simplest way.
Thanks I advance.
Y.

Old August 23rd, 2019, 05:30 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If it ain't broke why fix it? At your age, if in fact you are 96, should you invest in another operating system? Obviously Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP, so you are not getting any security updates which could be a concern if you use the computer for banking.

Windows 10 is by far the most secure operating system Microsoft has pushed out, and a upgrade to Windows 10 would be the best. However, this depends on the age of your system and if it can handle Windows 10, some older systems cannot.

If you can list the make and model of the computer we can find out.

Here are the basic specs required for Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications

Before any upgrade you should back everything up that you want to keep, either to a USB Stick or an external hard drive.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 10:01 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
you really need to go to the computer manufacturers website, search for the specific computer model and see what operating system has drivers available for it. if none, then you are stuck with xp. IMO, if xp is doing everything you need for it to do, then no reason to change.

IMO, If the computer came with xp, and you do want to upgrade, even if there are drivers available for newer operating systems, it would be better just to get a new computer. would save a lot of time and frustrations trying to upgrade