Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:15 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
So even if I got the drive out, I don't understand how I would attach that to a working PC. Using a USB connection somehow? All I've ever done inside a PC is add a memory card.

And thanks for everyone's concern but I think the Data Rescue PC is a legitimate program. Still running after a few days and has only done 27 of 40 gig so the hard drive definitely seems to be on its last legs.

Old May 28th, 2014, 09:42 PM

There are many ways but you need to determine the drive type (EIDE/PATA or SATA) first. You can install the drive into an Enclosure or Docking Station, which then connects via USB or eSATA. These are a bit harder to install, but the enclosure serves to provide physical protection too.

Or you can use an adapter cable similar to one of these temporarily while attempting to transfer the data. But you must take care not to let the exposed electrical contacts of the drive's interface card come into contact with anything.
Old June 5th, 2014, 03:47 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. As it turned out, the demo version of Data Rescue PC did identify hundreds of pictures and music files I was interested in. Although $99 is a bit high, I opted to spend the money given that I could see right there what it found and I feared if I tried something else the longer I was accessing this bad drive the more likely it was to completely fail. I am done with it now and overall I would say the program worked well, although it took forever to run on only a 40 gig drive.

A friend of mine happened to have an enclosure he let me borrow. I now have the bad hard drive USB connected to another computer and I am going to run the Recuva utility and see how that works. Thanks for the enclosure, which I had never heard of, and software suggestions.
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:06 PM

Well, if not the boot drive, just accessing the drive should not cause further damage unless the problem was purely mechanical - like damaged motor bearings. "Reading" the data on the drive does not present a risk of corruption. This risk is when data is being written to the drive - it could be written to sectors where files you are trying to recover are stored. This happens too with program files that are "opened" as typically, temporary files are then written to disk, and any changes to the opened file would force the file to be saved in a new location, maybe overwriting other data.

What I am saying is I wish you tried Recuva before shelling out $100. That said, if that $100 got your data back, then who am I to say it was not worth it?
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Jill

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
So glad to hear that you were able to recover all those files that were important to you.
True $99 is a good piece of change, but if you had lots of photos that were irreplaceable then I can't fault you for spending that money.
If you run Recuva I would be interested in hearing what it recovers. Please let us know.
One thing you may want to consider though is to get another hard drive that you can use for storage of backup images. There are free imaging programs that you could use.
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh213 View Post
I have an old Windows PC with a bad hard drive. I cannot start Windows. I ran Puppy Linux from a cd. I can get to some directories, but not all. I am trying to find a utility I can run from a cd or floppy that will read what it can from the hard drive and find pictures, music files and Word documents and write them to an external drive. Any recommendations?

I strongly suggest, the one im using recovery tool, It's from datarecoverysoftware.net .It retrieves all the data/files that has been deleted from our hard drives. works perfectly fine for me and it's easy to use. they had also 1gb free data recovery software mac. for the mac users, i can't find any better than what im using.

Last edited by KimberlyNilsson; September 12th, 2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old September 12th, 2014, 02:18 PM

That program is a rip off! It only allows you to recover up to 1 single Gb of files, then it hounds (extorts!) you to pay up 29.00 (nearly $50) if you want to recover more.

Since this thread has been dormant for several months, this is the one and only post by this new responder, and the OP long resolved his problem, this smells, looks, talks and walks like spam.
Old September 16th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Banned

There are many softwares available for that. They wont take much time.