Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 25th, 2014, 02:13 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Need Disk Utility To Recover Files

I have an old Windows PC with a bad hard drive. I cannot start Windows. I ran Puppy Linux from a cd. I can get to some directories, but not all. I am trying to find a utility I can run from a cd or floppy that will read what it can from the hard drive and find pictures, music files and Word documents and write them to an external drive. Any recommendations?

Old May 25th, 2014, 04:14 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I have used it with good success.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva
Old May 25th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
see the following. I do not have an recommendations other than recuva as previously mention. Dont think they have a live cd version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...overy_software

Last edited by renegade600; May 25th, 2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old May 25th, 2014, 08:55 PM

Thanks for both of your replies. I downloaded the program, but it is a Windows executable and I can't get Windows or DOS to run. I have Puppy Linux running, but don't know how - if at all - I can get the executable to run. I'm going to check out the wiki page now.
Old May 26th, 2014, 03:36 PM

I recommend you pull this drive and install it in an enclosure attached to, or as a secondary (NOT boot) drive installed in another computer, then run Recuva from there.
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but I've never pulled a hard drive and used it on another PC. What I am doing now is running a demo version of Data Rescue PC3. If it finds what I am looking for, I can purchase it. Current estimate is it will take 244 hours to get through a 40 gig drive. I'm hoping it's encountering a lot of errors at the beginning and will speed up at some point.
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:58 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Recuva is free and works really well.
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:33 PM

If I could figure out how to run it from my Puppy Linux I would. Or if I could get to a DOS prompt I could run it but I can't. I'm posting something to the Puppy Linux help forum to see if there is a way. I would love a free program. Data Rescue is $99 and the current estimate is down to 106 hours.
Old May 26th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Certifiable Bum

cannot write to it so you have limited yourself to a recovery boot disk. Possibly if you installed it on a usb drive it would run from puppy linux.

One of the problems with the paid utilities, it they may show that you can recover files, but there is a good chance the files may be corrupted but you will not know this until you pay....

What exactly is wrong with the harddrive. depending on the problem, if you have a copy of xp, you can do a repair install to get the os going again.

ARe you trying to recover files thats been deleted or just not accessible? IMO, if not accessible, then most likely the only files you will be able to recover are those in the folders you can see with puppy linux. The rest was most likely corrupted when the harddrive went bad.
Old May 26th, 2014, 09:32 PM

The first part of your sentence was missing, but I think it addressed the executable file I have. That is on a USB flash drive. Puppy can see it, but I can't figure out the syntax to get it to run from the console window. I get an error indicating it can't execute the binary file. (I do know Unix, so I have some knowledge of how to run things.)

I haven't tried a repair install yet. I was afraid that might overlay some of the files I would like to save. The files I am after were not deleted, they were just in the My Documents directory. Pictures primarily.
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
If it finds what I am looking for, I can purchase it.
Sounds like a gimmick to me.

Pulling (or adding) a drive is one the easiest hardware tasks users can do. Two cables (power and data) that can only be inserted one way. And at worse, 4 screws hold the drive in the drive bay (unless your case supports slide brackets to make it even easier). Installing a drive in an enclosure is a simple process too.
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Jill

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Sounds like a gimmick to me.

I thought that too when I first read that post yesterday. Sounds similar to one of those scams that tells you have all kinds of crap on your hard drive, but you have to buy the software to remove it.
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Sounds similar to one of those scams that tells you have all kinds of crap on your hard drive, but you have to buy the software to remove it.
Or worse, the scam that PUTS all sorts of crap on your hard drive, then demands payment to remove it.
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Jill

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Or worse, the scam that PUTS all sorts of crap on your hard drive, then demands payment to remove it.
You betcha!
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Certifiable Bum

I dont think Data Rescue PC3 is a gimmick or a scam. it actually gets good reviews from many major sources. I think it would be worth the cost if can recover.