Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:50 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Wait operation timed out on everything.

It,s a strange one this. My wife,s laptop Packard Bell easynote TE has problems. Recently upgraded to windows 10. Worked fine for a while then anything you clicked on came up 'the wait operation has timed out' also nothing would work start menu coudent turn it off or access anything.
The only option to force shutdown. On restart all would be fine for a while then it would happen again. This has happened many times now.
I have reset windows 10 and this seemed to cure it for a while but now it,s started again. By chance I clicked on internet explorer icon and was surprised it worked and could access the internet that way though nothing on the desktop worked. It,s happened again today. The internet explorer icon was on the toolbar this time the toolbar has disappeared also so cant do anything.
A long story anyone got any ideas, I thought resetting windows 10 would cure it but it has,nt. Thanks for any advice.

Old February 14th, 2016, 05:15 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I would first try creating another Profile and see if you have the same problem.

1. Press Windows key + R key, Run window opens.
  2. Type control in the open box and click Ok.
  3. Control Panel windows opens.
  4. Click on User accounts and Family Safety.
  5. Click on User Account and then click on Manage Accounts.
  6. Now click on Add a new user and follow the instructions.
  7. Now check if the issue persists in the new user account.
If you do then you can delete that profile, if it resolves then you profile is corrupt.
Old February 15th, 2016, 09:37 PM

sorted, I think.

Hi Murf, I think I might have sorted it. My wife upgraded Avast to Avast-pro with that came Safe Zone browser. I got rid of it and things seemed to have settled down now. I also got rid of some touchpad thing that I dident recognise.
It seems ok now but I will set up another account so if it happens again I can try it. Thanks for your time.
Old February 16th, 2016, 01:06 AM

K, nothing wrong with Avast, but Windows 10 does not need it, so when its time to renew think about it. Windows Defender in Windows 10 is a anti-virus and malware program now, and does an excellent job and is all you really need.
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:32 PM

windows defender

Hi, on my laptop I only have windows defender and it seems fine. My wife upgraded to Avast Pro because she was worried about banking online.
I don't know if I've cured it but at the time of writing it's still fine. I deleated the touchpad thing after checking on my laptop and I didn't have it. Safe Zone browser I though might be one too many having Internet Explorer, Chrome and Edge. It was odd though nothing on the desktop worked only Internet Explorer why would the start menu not work? As I said seems fine now (touch wood) thanks again for your help.
Old February 16th, 2016, 08:36 PM

By default SafeZone browser comes with Ad Blocker, Web-Reputation, Video Downloader and Safe Price add-ons. In my opinion all malware/spyware, although you will read how great they are on the Avast page. Any of these could of affected the Start Menu.

I only run Defender and do all my banking on-line, and have never had a problem. I use IE 11 not Edge, and I clear browsing history at least once a month. I also run Malwarebytes once a month.
Old February 17th, 2016, 03:54 PM

windows defender

I like you only have Windows Defender and do banking etc. no problem. I clear history, cookies and temp. files regularly. I run Spybot every now and again is Malwarebites better? I guess Safe Zone was causing the problem as it seems fine now. I'll keep an eye bon wife's comp. and clean it up now and again.
Thanks Murf.
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:37 PM

Personally I like Malwarebytes.

http://science.opposingviews.com/mal...bot-19487.html