Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 16th, 2015, 10:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
If I leave the settings as they are is there any detriment in that, as things are running ok now.What do I gain by changing the settings to how they were.Incidentally I suppose the Chipset forms part of the motherboard ,right?,so it would involve changing that someday

Old February 16th, 2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
So unless someone else can verify it does, I would go back into BIOS and change SATA back to the way you had it in the beginning.
If me, I would reset the BIOS, boot directly into the BIOS Setup Menu and reset the date and time, see if drives are there, then Save and Exit to boot normally. Then see what happens.

Quote:
I suppose the Chipset forms part of the motherboard ,right?,so it would involve changing that someday
The chipset is actually a little computer on its own that controls everything on and about the motherboard. Without the chipset, nothing on the motherboard could communicate with anything else on the motherboard. The chipset contains the programming that includes the BIOS and allows the motherboard to boot before the boot drive holding the operating system is ever touched.

You can update the chipset, if an update is available, by flashing (reprogramming) the BIOS. But you cannot replace the chipset on a motherboard. You would have to replace the entire motherboard - in effect, get a new computer. And that would most likely mean a new CPU and new RAM too - and a new Windows license as well.

And that takes me back to page one and my first post here and your comment that you are trying to install from a "borrowed" OS disk. After resetting the BIOS, I would attempt a fresh install with the install disk that came with this computer, or from a legitimate install disk you purchase for this computer.
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:19 PM
CTH Subscriber

My date and time are showing correctly ,don.t know where to find the drivers or what drivers to look for.A second point is that when I looked on Ebay for Windows 7 instal read somewhere that that is only half the story,drivers seem to be extra as are various keys,I think they are product number activation code and some other item is needed,this was my main reason for not buying on Ebay as I didn,t know what was to be or needed to be included.I am still curious as to why I need to change the BIOS settings to original, as things are booting up normally as they are,I realise there must be a reason and I am curious to further my understanding
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:31 AM

I really don't what you are trying to say about drivers and ebay. You get drivers from the hardware makers. But FTR, I sure would not buy any Windows license off ebay.

As for resetting the BIOS I suggested that because it appears there have been several changes from the defaults. Resetting will ensure all the defaults are restored.
Old February 17th, 2015, 10:46 AM
CTH Subscriber

I seem to have worded my question badly,I read that Microsoft are no longer selling Windows 7 it is phased out?my option was Ebay and I wanted to know the pitfalls i.e what is expected to be included in the installlation disc ,I assumed that everything needed was to be included but this is not always the case it seems as after purchase extra things need to be purchased to make the installation operate. Regarding he default position in BIOS I have lost track of the changes I made during the course of this thread so that is why I made that point.
Old February 17th, 2015, 03:44 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If you get into BIOS setup and find where you can set it to defaults. It may say Optimize defaults, or it may just say defaults, highlight it then save and exit. That is it.

Buying Windows from Ebay you are taking a chance, it could be a copy that someone used and even though they provide the KEY it may not activate. If your going to buy off of Ebay, which I have done, make sure they say SEALED, new with COE and key.

Retailers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832416806

You can shop around on the UK site maybe find cheaper.
Old February 17th, 2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Regarding he default position in BIOS I have lost track of the changes I made during the course of this thread so that is why I made that point.
It is BECAUSE you have lost track of the changes I recommend you reset the BIOS.

And a simple look at any legitimate brick and mortar or on-line retailer will show Windows 7 is still readily available.
Old February 17th, 2015, 07:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
It is BECAUSE you have lost track of the changes I recommend you reset the BIOS.

And a simple look at any legitimate brick and mortar or on-line retailer will show Windows 7 is still readily available.
I was saying that I was unsure of how to reset bios or rather that is what I meant to convey
Old February 17th, 2015, 08:11 PM

Your computer/motherboard user manual should tell you. Otherwise, unplug from the wall, open computer, touch bare metal of case interior to discharge any static in your body, then CAREFULLY remove the small wafer battery on your motherboard.

Wipe it clean with a lint free cloth and without touching battery with your bare fingers, re-insert battery.

Inspect case interior. Clean out any heat trapping dust and ensure all cables are securely fastened. Connect power and boot directly into the BIOS Setup Menu then reset date and time and verify your connected drives are identified. Then Save and Exit to boot normally.