Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 13th, 2015, 07:55 AM

So here's the update. After resetting the router I noticed that I was able to access the wireless router while it had no password set. As soon as I went through the wireless network set up and set it to Wpa Personal and tried to log in, that's where it crapped out.
I started once again to get the Windows security network authentication "username/Password" pop up even tho the network I just created is showing as well as others in my neighborhood. So what I can see now is that Windows 7 connects as long as I don't set any kind of encryption... That can't be right.

Thoughts?

Old January 15th, 2015, 03:38 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
You haven't mentioned so far if you have tried your Windows logon name and password.
It looks to me as if Windows is asking you to authenticate creating the wireless network connection with your router. Once the connection is created you should get the box asking for your WPA Key.
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaken View Post
You haven't mentioned so far if you have tried your Windows logon name and password.
It looks to me as if Windows is asking you to authenticate creating the wireless network connection with your router. Once the connection is created you should get the box asking for your WPA Key.
I never created a password to log on to Windows tho. So I don't know what password they want. When I installed Windows, it only requested a username. I've tried using that and leaving the password field blank since I never set one up but that doesnt work either.
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:41 PM

Some things in Windows NT based systems will not work without a username AND password!
Try going to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Change Your Password" and give your logon a password (you can remove it afterwards if you want), restart your computer and see if that helps.
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:03 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Did you try WPA?
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Some things in Windows NT based systems will not work without a username AND password!
Try going to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Change Your Password" and give your logon a password (you can remove it afterwards if you want), restart your computer and see if that helps.

Just tried that. No go.
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Did you try WPA?

I'm on auto WPA or WPA2 but I tried WPA only just for the hell of it. Also a no go. Only works if I set it to no security.
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:41 PM

Have you tried Manualy connecting to your router? If not try this.

Go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Manage Wireless Networks"

Top left corner, click "Add."

Select "Manually create a network profile."

Enter your connection details in the next window, (network SSID, security type, encryption type, security key). Select the option to connect automatically and save.
Old January 16th, 2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Have you tried Manualy connecting to your router? If not try this.

Go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Manage Wireless Networks"

Top left corner, click "Add."

Select "Manually create a network profile."

Enter your connection details in the next window, (network SSID, security type, encryption type, security key). Select the option to connect automatically and save.
Definitely tried this. Didn't work either. It appears to be something about the encryption that triggers this because as soon as I remove any router security, I don't get the pop up anymore.
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:06 PM

Have you tried selecting another wireless router in your neighbourhood to see if you get the same pop up box when attempting to connect?
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:45 AM

I have and no pop ups. I just get asked for a password.
Old January 17th, 2015, 01:34 PM

Have you tried connecting another Windows 7 device to your wireless?
Old January 17th, 2015, 07:39 PM

Someone once had a laptop computer connected but I think it was Home edition. Not Pro like I have.
Old January 18th, 2015, 02:10 AM

Have you tried to connect any other device (not previously connected to your network) since your Windows 7 install?
Old January 18th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Finally!!!

On a whim I tried to install Windows 7 Home edition instead. Afterwards, I got this notice I hadn't gotten with the Pro version that indicated that I would need to update to Windows 2000 or XP to have my wireless adapter work even tho I was installing an OS that was already newer than those two... Of course the wireless adapter driver was outdated. I never thought of that. I found the latest drivers and presto... I'm typing this very reply from my desktop, Windows 7 pro computer. Booyah!

I want to thank Murf and Ninjaken and CyberTechHelp for all the replies. Truly appreciated.

G.