Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Topic Tools
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:27 PM

AMD Display driver stop responding and recovered

Almost a week ago, I got a pop-up message saying, "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered." I thought nothing of it then I got it again today. My computer would freeze when this happened but it'd unfreeze after a minute or so. Not sure what to make of it. I looked at the event viewer logs and that was no help. It just said that the driver quit responding, which I already knew. I wondered the first time if it anything to do with windows updates. Turns out windows updates were downloaded but PC had to be rebooted to finish installing. So I rebooted and didn't have a problem anymore. Now I have this again and looked at my windows update history. More windows updates! Looks like windows updates is causing this issue, maybe? I hate to think that because I don't want to turn off my automatic windows updates if I don't have to. The update I got before was for Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 KB301299. The update I got today is the same except it's KB3025390. Both seems to be related to IE11 but I was using Firefox both times this happened. So I don't know if the updates are causing the problem or if this is just a coincidence.

I didn't want to think that there's something wrong with my display driver. I just got this computer this past September and have installed updates for my display drivers since then from HP Assistant. I do let my computer automatically download and install updates. Maybe I need a new display driver already? I don't know. Wish I knew whether I need a new driver before I actually go and download and install it.

Well, I went to this website to find solutions and there a lot of them. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...rmessages.aspx

I hate to do them all when only one is necessary but I don't know which I need to do since this is a new computer, new drivers, new everything. I shouldn't be having problems already.

Any ideas?

Old December 18th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
unless there is an update for your display driver at hp then one is not needed. my suggestion is to uninstall the driver then reinstall.

since you have a new computer, it should still be under warranty, might want to give them a call.

you may want to temporary disable auto updates because patch tuesday has become buggy tuesday. might want to hold off a week or two after the normal updates are released before updating.
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:06 PM

Ok, I've checked under device manager to see if there's an update for the driver. It tells me I have the latest version, which is what I thought. So I went ahead and changed the settings so the windows updates will download but let me choose whether to install them. I'll do that for maybe the next couple of weeks and hopefully things will be ok. You'd think Microsoft would check up on those and make sure they're not buggy or corrupted before having people even download them but I guess those things happen sometimes.
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:34 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Display drivers are updated continuously, usually you get a pop up telling you a update is available.

What is the model of the computer, You indicated it is a HP?

In device manager, where you were before click on the details for the driver and write down the version number.

Then go to HP site

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html

Either use detect or put in your model number look at the latest driver version available, if it is different then what you have, download and install it.