Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I have successfully found New Simple Volume I tried clicking somewhere other than where I had been clicking and it revealed it ,so the old hard drive details aren't needed now.Trying to test my dvd to see if it's working correctly(at the moment the case is laying it's side for space reasons ),going into Device manager and checking it's status ..i.e.this device is or isn't working correctly,it doesn't indicate that ,it keeps displaying the Ethernet controller doesn't have a suitable driver ,don't know how this is connected to the dvd player.The Ethernet controller is shown as unknown and trying to update it I get the display' the correct driver is installed for this device.I am almost at the stage where I can load this windows 7 disc now once I can check the condition of the dvd player'as I assume it's erratic behaviour is due to it's laying on it's side instead of upright(don't know if this does actually affect it's performance)

Old January 6th, 2015, 09:58 PM

Don't wory about the ethernet it should not be causing problems with your DVD drive.

Once you have checked that the DVD drive reads the insallation disk as I described in an earlier post you can attempt an install to the SSD.

Before you shutdown put your install disk in DVD drive, shutdown and disconnect your Jupiter drive by removing the SATA data cable from the motherboard and the power plug from the drive.

You should now be ready to do the installation. Be patient! it could take an hour or more to install and sometimes look as if nothing is happening.
Old January 7th, 2015, 11:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

I am now stuck part way through installing the windows...New volume does not have a driver,where to from here
Old January 7th, 2015, 12:59 PM

Hmmmm? This is a new one to me! Windows uses a set of generic drivers for ATA hard drive devices.

I'm guessing your DVD did boot without problem, that you've got through the stage of seeing the drive to install to, selecting to install using the existing formatted partition and begun installing.

Are you given any options with this message?
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

The only options are :A required DVD driver is missing.The DVD loaded OK ,so the DVD is working, bit of a puzzle
Old January 8th, 2015, 02:39 PM

OK! Windows also uses a set of generic drivers for the cd/dvd drive.

The problem very much sounds like either a faulty install disk or a read problem with your DVD drive.

The only way to procede now is to isolate the problem by substitution.

The cheapest option to start with is to replace your DVD drive (costs as little as 12 + carriage). I suggest you buy a DVD-RW SATA device plus SATA data cable and one or two MOLEX to SATA adapters from a reputable source.

In the meantime I suggest you return you computer to booting to Windows on on your Jupiter drive and repeat the delete volume and new simple volume procedure on your SSD in preparation for the next install attempt.

Once you have done the above you can try another install!
Old January 8th, 2015, 03:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks will do that ,sounds a bit cheap that DVD writer at 12,where best to get one from?
Old January 8th, 2015, 04:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

I can understand the Sata cable but the one or two molex to Sata cables? what would they be needed for
Old January 8th, 2015, 04:52 PM

Google search "buy dvd-rw drive online" or find a local computer retailer!

A Molex to SATA adapter/converter cables will be needed to convert the type of power plug that is connected to your current dvd drive to a power plug that fits a SATA drive, from our exchange so far, I suspect your power suply unit has only one SATA power connector which you are using to power your SSD drive.
Old January 8th, 2015, 05:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi I do have four Sata sockets. L shaped in blue.I asked, as I was confused why Data being information,was being connected to molex which I understood was purely power,the opposite of what I thought.
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

My power supply to the ssd is the same connection as the DVD connection,both are connected by four wires yellow red and two black,terminating. in a four pin plug.The data for the DVD is by way of an IDE strap 50mm wide The data for the ssd is by way of a Sata cable which goes to one of the four blue L shaped sockets on the motherboard,which I imagine is called the ssd drive
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:15 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying, Just got back from collecting friends at the airport!

There appears to be some confusion!

The SATA data cable connects the drive to the motherboard and is for data transfer only. The SATA power connection comes from the PSU to the drive and is for power only.

If you have 4 plugs with an L shaped slot on the wiring coming from the PSU then you don't need the adapters.
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:30 PM

Follow these links for images of power plugs

1. Molex Power Plug - http://www.ocp.com/product_search/im...otos/71086.jpg

2. SATA Power plug - http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_5141_3.jpg

3. Molex to SATA power Adapter - http://www.pcdirectuk.com/content/im...connector.jpeg

Last edited by ninjaken; January 8th, 2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:37 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

dry Thanks
Closed Topic