Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Reply
 
Topic Tools
  #31  
Old September 26th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Digerati Digerati is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade660
It can ONLY be legally used on a computer that never had an operating system on it or the motherboard was just replaced.
To clarify further, the motherboard just replaced MUST have been replaced as part of a "repair" action (not as part of a system "upgrade"). And, it MUST be an exact replacement with the same brand and model number as the original motherboard, or the recommended replacement by the same maker, if the original model number is no longer available.

If you are a student or on the staff at a school, you can often get Windows at a very deep discount.

Quote:
Since I have Windows XP and intends to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate
Make sure your hardware is compatible first and that W7 drivers are available. Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to make sure your system will support W7.
Reply With Quote


  #32  
Old September 27th, 2014, 03:13 PM
littlebadboy littlebadboy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
O/S: Windows 10 Home
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Make sure your hardware is compatible first and that W7 drivers are available. Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to make sure your system will support W7.
This is what is says for both 32 and 64 bit:



Since it says "custom installation required", will this upgrade version from my University work for me?

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:16 PM
renegade600's Avatar
renegade600 renegade600 is offline
Certifiable Bum
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
O/S: Linux
Location: Osceola, Ar
Posts: 26,525
one other place you need to look. go to the computers manufacturers website and see if there are win7 drivers available for your system. if not, then I recommend not upgrading.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Digerati Digerati is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Since it says "custom installation required", will this upgrade version from my University work for me?
I am guessing it will but I might suggest you contact your university IT department for advice and help.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old September 27th, 2014, 07:58 PM
littlebadboy littlebadboy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
O/S: Windows 10 Home
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
one other place you need to look. go to the computers manufacturers website and see if there are win7 drivers available for your system. if not, then I recommend not upgrading.
But... I upgraded my processor to a T7200 which is not in the listed processors that were offered when my laptop model was released.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old September 27th, 2014, 08:16 PM
renegade600's Avatar
renegade600 renegade600 is offline
Certifiable Bum
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
O/S: Linux
Location: Osceola, Ar
Posts: 26,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
But... I upgraded my processor to a T7200 which is not in the listed processors that were offered when my laptop model was released.

you will still need to check for other features. Two of the most common problem is wifi and sound drivers. If they do not have their respective drivers and the general driver that comes with win8.1 does not work, there could be problems finding them.

I have know several individuals who wasted their money upgrading when they had to go back to their old os because of driver issues - even though microsoft said it could be upgraded.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old September 27th, 2014, 08:17 PM
renegade600's Avatar
renegade600 renegade600 is offline
Certifiable Bum
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
O/S: Linux
Location: Osceola, Ar
Posts: 26,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Since it says "custom installation required", will this upgrade version from my University work for me?
]
you should have no problems doing a custom install as long as you have a legit copy of the old os installed and activated.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old September 29th, 2014, 05:47 AM
littlebadboy littlebadboy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
O/S: Windows 10 Home
Posts: 231
By the way, 32-bit vs 64-bit. Which would be better? What are the differences?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old September 29th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Digerati Digerati is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 2,464
Remember, Bing Google is your friend.

Bing Google

Bottom line, with today's operating systems, you need at least 4Gb of RAM (I recommend 6 - 8Gb minimum) and to best utilize that 4G (or more) of RAM, you need a 64-bit OS.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Murf's Avatar
Murf Murf is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
O/S: Windows 10 Home
Location: Newport News VA
Age: 74
Posts: 17,235
Just an update. I was wrong. The keys were counterfit. The Win 7 computer came up yesterday as not geniune. Exactly 90 days since the install which means my Win 8 will probably do the same thing in 2 weeks.
I did email them and heard back, initially they wanted me to use the smlg code, which I know would extend the activation another 90 days. So fired back at them and they gave me a new code, went back and said If I call MS will this code be in their database as a valid one. Well they came back with yet another code. DUH.

Well I wiped the drive and installed Win 7 from one of my copies, and activated it by telephone.

Though they are corresponding I don't expect a refund, can't use paypal dispute as it is pass the 45 days.

Of note they said my version was OEM and their key will only work on retail.
i downloaded the ISO from MS.

Anyway I learned a lesson.

I just ordered a retail copy of Win 8.1 for myself.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old October 8th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Digerati Digerati is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Just an update. I was wrong. The keys were counterfit. The Win 7 computer came up yesterday as not geniune. Exactly 90 days since the install which means my Win 8 will probably do the same thing in 2 weeks.
I did email them and heard back, initially they wanted me to use the smlg code, which I know would extend the activation another 90 days. So fired back at them and they gave me a new code, went back and said If I call MS will this code be in their database as a valid one. Well they came back with yet another code. DUH.

Well I wiped the drive and installed Win 7 from one of my copies, and activated it by telephone.

Though they are corresponding I don't expect a refund, can't use paypal dispute as it is pass the 45 days.

Of note they said my version was OEM and their key will only work on retail.
i downloaded the ISO from MS.

Anyway I learned a lesson.

I just ordered a retail copy of Win 8.1 for myself.
I doubt it was fun posting this reply but I, for one, sure appreciate it. I am sorry this "lesson" was learned through your wallet (and now your time to put all back right) but for sure your lesson is one that will [hopefully] keep others from getting burned too, and maybe (he says dreamingly) help put these crooks out of business (in jail would be delusional ).

I just wish MS and McAfee would reply to the piracy reports I submitted - but both are being mum about it. I suspect that is because they can't stop it, and don't want to draw attention/publicity to these sites.

Anyway, thanks for posting your followup. Murf! Maybe a sticky warning can be put somewhere on the site?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:23 PM
IPR512's Avatar
IPR512 IPR512 is offline
Jill
 
Join Date: May 2006
O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Location: Tampabay area of Florida
Posts: 2,320
Well said Digerati.
Sometimes the toughest lessons learned are the ones that cost us money. I'm really sorry this happened to you Murf. You sure don't deserve to get screwed like that.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old October 9th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Murf's Avatar
Murf Murf is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
O/S: Windows 10 Home
Location: Newport News VA
Age: 74
Posts: 17,235
Well I heard from them again. They sent a link to Microsoft ftp to download a Retail ISO, they also sent a new key. They said to activate it by telephone.

Well I did download and burned to DVD. Going to find one of my old HDD and install and see if it activates by phone. They MAY be crooked, but are trying to resolve, which is surprising.

Will see if my Win 8 shows up as not genuine next week. My Legal Retail should be here this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:58 AM
IPR512's Avatar
IPR512 IPR512 is offline
Jill
 
Join Date: May 2006
O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Location: Tampabay area of Florida
Posts: 2,320
Could it be that something you said to them in an e-mail has gotten them running scared enough to set you up with a genuine copy?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:13 PM
renegade600's Avatar
renegade600 renegade600 is offline
Certifiable Bum
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
O/S: Linux
Location: Osceola, Ar
Posts: 26,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Well I heard from them again. They sent a link to Microsoft ftp to download a Retail ISO, they also sent a new key. They said to activate it by telephone.

Well I did download and burned to DVD. Going to find one of my old HDD and install and see if it activates by phone. They MAY be crooked, but are trying to resolve, which is surprising.

Will see if my Win 8 shows up as not genuine next week. My Legal Retail should be here this weekend.
if it must be activated by phone, then I would not trust the key. A real genuine full retail version would not require phone activation.

Last edited by renegade600; October 9th, 2014 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Topic Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:07 AM.