Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 13th, 2014, 08:53 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Angry windows 7 restore point

I have an HP Pavilion DV6-7010us laptop.. running Windows 7 Home 64 bit
I booted up this morning with no problems.. all looked good.. one of my programs did an update and then rebooted the computer.. NOW The computer crashed.. went through Startup repair and it failed..said it cannot repair the startup... I tried to boot into safe mode.. NO>>.will NOT boot into safe mode .. will not boot into safe mode with Command Prompt.. NOTHING.. nada.. It would ONLY go through the darn Startup repair again... then it took me to HP Recovery Manager... I tried to do sfc /scannow on the command prompt.. but it won't run..says it is running startup repair and says to reboot and try again.. get the same garbage message.. will not scan... tried to do the restore point and go back to 4/11/14 before the quicktime install .. select that restore point, click to go to the next screen.. where it says to confirm the drive.. the only drive showing is Local C drive.. It will NOT allow me to click in the box to select it... cannot do a restore point.. the ONLY thing it will allow me to do is Windows recovery... this is computer has ALL my work, ALL my programs... to do a Windows Recovery I will have to reinstall ALL my programs I installed after buying the computer about 3 years ago...
WHY will it not allow me to use my restore point.. This is just nuts...

thanks
Barbara

Old April 13th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
if the harddrive did not crash, you might be able to recover your files by using a linux live disk. I would suggest linux mint - Cinnamon version.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

once you create the image disk, you can boot to it and run it. It works similar to windows so you should be able to enter its files manager, see the harddrive, and copy your files to a usb drive.

you can also run a harddrive diagnostic utility and see if the drive went bad. again, you need to downloadit and create an image disk to boot from then run seatools

http://www.seagate.com/support/downl...ls-dos-master/

if you need a utility to create an image disk see http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:21 PM

thanks.. but how to do you download and run when you can't get into the computer at all.. it has no start button.. nothing.. no way to see what is on the computer...
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Certifiable Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacat104 View Post
thanks.. but how to do you download and run when you can't get into the computer at all.. it has no start button.. nothing.. no way to see what is on the computer...
1. looks like you are on a computer, if using another device, use a friends or family computer to download the files
2. you download the files and create the image disks. you can boot from the disk, not the computer and run the computer off the disks. You do not need windows to run them.

remember to change the boot order in the bios. it should tell you what keys to press on the very first screen when you first turn on the computer.

Last edited by renegade600; April 13th, 2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:05 AM

Thanks...
Is there a backup type program that will backup everything like applications installed, etc that when something like this happens, I can use it to put everything back and have it working without having to reinstall everything again...

thanks
Barbara
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Certifiable Bum

when you reinstall windows, you have to reinstall programs. when you install most programs, they will add entries into windows registry and files within different windows folders. so to answer your question, as far as I know there aint no backup utilities that will backup installed programs.

what you should do is when you get your windows reinstalled or fixed, after it gets all of its updates, after you reinstall all of your program, is to create an image file so the next time you have major issues where you may have to reinstall, you will already have a ready backup available.
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Jill

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Mamacat
Here are links to some free backup programs. You can make images with them or clone your hard drive. Either way you would need an external hard drive to keep the images stored on or for use as a clone.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/...p-software.htm
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:51 AM

Ok, thank you so much.. It has been about 3 years since my computer crashed and I do back up on most of my documents and pics.. I keep them on an external drive... been doing that since my crash 3 years ago. A friend of mine just sent me an email and told me about the Macrium.. so will go get it and have it ready .... I have program CDs for most of my programs and if it is something I downloaded, I usually never just do a run.. I download and save before I install and always save a copy of the software into a folder on the external drive so I have it...
thank you and have a good day... back to work on the laptop that crashed...
Barbara
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Jill

You're very welcome. It sounds like you have your bases covered as far as backing up your pictures, and documents, and good on you for saving downloaded installation files in case they need to be reinstalled. I've heard of numerous people who have paid for programs that they have downloaded, but have no backup of the files.
Good luck with Macrium, I have never used it, but I've heard good things about it. Hopefully the friend who e-mailed you can offer help with it if needed.
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:48 PM

Something like this happened to me years ago, along with others as well, and I learned a valuable lesson. I do not allow any program except my firewall and anti-virus to auto update. If I want to use quicktime (I don't) I just install a newer version occasionally after it has gone though a trial and its considered stable. Same with Ccleaner, anything by Adobe and even Windows criticals. That way other people suffer the bad updates before they get to me. It almost sounds like your a victim of a poisoned update, did you try running an anti-malware app to see?
Also there was a time when my mouse would not work to check a box (I know that was not your problem) but there are keyboard shortcuts that worked in older Windows to get around it. If I remember correctly the alt key switched between screens or choices, the Tab key would then allow you to scroll or move thru the sub choices (those two might be reversed) and the enter key triggered the final choice. If you cannot select the C drive for restore, see if hitting alt and enter, alt tab enter or some combination might do it for you. Back when I used to use this you could actually see the key press change the focus of the screen or choices with a form of highlighting. I know it still worked in XP but after that I don't know.

Last edited by Appzalien; April 16th, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:55 PM

I forgot, what about the safe mode screens "last known good configuration" its worth a try no?
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:30 PM

Hi Barbara,

We are the Microsoft certified engineers and have the technical support of our own and we are connected to many of the companies as well like AIRTEL, STH, Techlive , etc.

If you face any issue on any type be it be your outlook, antivirus, slow pc, printer issue, etc. You can contact us on below mention toll free number or directly connected with the skype as well:

Toll Free Number: 1-877-729-5366

Thanks in advance.

Regards
S K Awasthi
CEO
SED Technical Support
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Jill

Hey Skant107
How is it that you have the same phone number as this outfit?
http://mojo.myfoxphilly.com/biz/buy-...33498/54090782
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Certifiable Bum

lets not forget this

Softech Products
We are Social Media Marketing Agencies with expertise on Pinterest marketing, With Our Expertise we
Phone : 1-877-729-5366

sound like this person is nothing but a two bit crook.
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Jill

Funny how these Aholes find this forum.