Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old January 28th, 2012, 01:56 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Dual Boot System cannot set Win 7 as default [help wiping and reinstalling]

Have new machine(new to me) with Win 7 Ult & Lion OSX dual boot. Both work fine, but I am not primarily a mac user and want Win 7 to boot default. BUT I cannot set the default boot system to Windows.

Neither Windows (loaded using "Option" F8 key) nor OSX will let me reset the default system to Windows.

When I try using System Preferences in OSX, I get the screen with two systems shown, "Mac OSX 10.7.2" and "Untitled Windows."
When I highlight the Windows, and click restart, I get a popup window that says "You can't change the startup disk... The Bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk."

I need the machine to boot into windows by default.

I am a novice, so details will be needed.

Help appreciated!

Old January 28th, 2012, 03:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
That error message is generated by the Mac software so I'm transferring you to our Macintosh forum for more help.
Old January 28th, 2012, 03:48 AM

transfer

how do i get there?

Thanks
Old January 28th, 2012, 03:51 AM
CTH Subscriber

You are there. I've transferred your topic for you.
Old January 28th, 2012, 03:55 AM

ooops! Thanks Ann Marie!
Old January 28th, 2012, 03:56 AM
CTH Subscriber

lol, good luck.
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
is this a mac computer? you may be able to use easybcd - it is free for noncommercial use.

http://download.cnet.com/EasyBCD/300...-10556865.html
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:41 AM

Easy BCD??

I just heard of this Easy BCD thing tonight.

The computer is a dual boot system; runs Win 7 and also OSX. It default boots into the Mac system no matter what I try for settings. I can boot into Windows using the F8 key during the boot sequence, but that is a pain, since I am primarily a Windows user. I need to change the default boot from OSX to Windows.

Do you think the Easy BCD will be able to do that?

Thanks

Late for me now, will check for answers tomorrow.

Hagar
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Well need a bit more info.....

What Mac is it? Model?
How was Windows installed? Did you use Bootcamp?
Old January 28th, 2012, 12:52 PM

Question

You see, that is the problem, I do not know. I bought a used machine with both systems already installed. It is a custom machine Intel i7 4 GB ram. Is there no way to determine what you need to know by looking into the system?

I downloaded the easy bcd and tried that, it did not work.

Now I am getting a message that the windows is not genuine, after I allowed windows updates last evening.

Tell you what, I am getting frustrated with this.

Question: I know this is a dual boot thing and that this complicate things, but can anyone walk me through the process of deleting the MAC OSX?

Note: If necessary we can delete the Win 7 Ult as well, I have a new unopened unregistered Win 7 pro package.

I realize this is going above and beyond, but I am a novice with MAC and not an expert with Windows, although I have used Win xp for several years.

Thanks for any advice. All this is an attempt to get updated;, my old machine is slow and 6 years old. I am not concerned about transferring data -- I have program disks for what I need for Windows, and a back-up HD for getting old data if I need it, and the old machine is still active. I just want to get the new machine up and active.

Thanks guys
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:11 PM

If anyone helps me out with this (Without asking me "which way did you come in??!!"

CyberTech will get a $25 donation from me immediately.
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Certifiable Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsjones View Post
You see, that is the problem, I do not know. I bought a used machine with both systems already installed. It is a custom machine Intel i7 4 GB ram. Is there no way to determine what you need to know by looking into the system?

I downloaded the easy bcd and tried that, it did not work.

Now I am getting a message that the windows is not genuine, after I allowed windows updates last evening.

Tell you what, I am getting frustrated with this.

Question: I know this is a dual boot thing and that this complicate things, but can anyone walk me through the process of deleting the MAC OSX?

Note: If necessary we can delete the Win 7 Ult as well, I have a new unopened unregistered Win 7 pro package.

I realize this is going above and beyond, but I am a novice with MAC and not an expert with Windows, although I have used Win xp for several years.

Thanks for any advice. All this is an attempt to get updated;, my old machine is slow and 6 years old. I am not concerned about transferring data -- I have program disks for what I need for Windows, and a back-up HD for getting old data if I need it, and the old machine is still active. I just want to get the new machine up and active.

Thanks guys
basically it sounds like you are violating apples license with a osx installed on a non apple computer.

you can format the drive using dban getting rid of everything. you can insert the win7 disk, boot to it and install it wiping the drive and delete the partition as part of the install process.

http://www.dban.org/

Last edited by renegade600; January 28th, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Certifiable Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsjones View Post
If anyone helps me out with this (Without asking me "which way did you come in??!!"

CyberTech will get a $25 donation from me immediately.
this forum will help you as long as everything is legit. We have to asked certain questions because even if everything is legit, we do not want to give bad advice. Not every setup has the same steps in order to fix it.

Last edited by renegade600; January 28th, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Is the machine a Macintosh even? It doesn't sound like it. Sounds like a "hackintosh." If that's the case, this really is a Windows issue. You need to erase the drive and reinstall Windows.

Hate to post this, but this really may have been better in the Windows forums. I may need to move this topic back there so you can get assistance wiping things and reinstalling Windows.
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Unhappy Lets do that!

Thanks Buzz, You have made my mind up. Tired of fooling with this "dual boot" when I don't even know if it is set up properly or legally.

Not sure about that d-ban, maybe the windows guys or gals can guide me. I just want to clear the system the way that requires the least work, and install my new Win 7 Pro.

So yes please transfer me back.

Thanks to all of you who have answered my dumb questions.