Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:38 AM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

How large is the backup.txt file? Backup.txt should reassure you that the Backups are there.

The files are there. They are zipped. Unless they have been modified , they will not be re-copied each time a Backup is run. The catalog files keep track of which versions of the files exist at the time of each backup and where Windows Backup can find them. IOW which zip contains which files.

I think you're stressing over something which would take days for you to manually check. We already successfully restored one file. That's the ultimate test.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:24 AM

Here is information. Does this help? (H drive is the destination drive)

Directory of H:\ALL FILES AND FOLDERS\WILL

04/07/2011 14:07 13,395 CONTACTS.docx
05/07/2011 12:16 14,323 Will.docx
17/07/2011 12:54 <DIR> ..
17/07/2011 12:54 <DIR> .
2 File(s) 27,718 bytes

Total Files Listed:
18022 File(s) 54,469,415,249 bytes
2922 Dir(s) 265,195,782,144 bytes free
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:23 AM

From that result, The Backups do not appear to be on the H: drive.
But they are somewhere. Otherwise you would not have been able to find and restore a file, which you did.

Please open Backup and Restore.

Under the Backup section, you'll see Location:

What is the backup location listed? Is it still H:\?

When you open the Computer icon, what kind of drive does it list as H:?
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Yes, the Backup Location is given as the H drive, when I go to "Manage Space". Under an icon showing H drive is "Browse" and when I click that, it "seems" to take me to the files on H drive that I can also see on the desktop. But, and this is what's puzzling, I don't see the backed up files anywhere on there.

Last edited by cdave; July 24th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:34 AM

One quick question.

This is the result of the command I gave you to get the contents of the H: drive:

Quote:
Directory of H:\ALL FILES AND FOLDERS\WILL

04/07/2011 14:07 13,395 CONTACTS.docx
05/07/2011 12:16 14,323 Will.docx
17/07/2011 12:54 <DIR> ..
17/07/2011 12:54 <DIR> .
2 File(s) 27,718 bytes

Total Files Listed:
18022 File(s) 54,469,415,249 bytes
2922 Dir(s) 265,195,782,144 bytes free
Is that the entire file? It seems there is a lot more on that drive.

On the start menu, double click on the computer icon. When computer opens, right click on the H: drive and click properties. When the H: drive's properties page opens,
Look at FileSystem:

What does it say there? I remember you said earlier that it wasn't NTFS.
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:48 AM

You can't see the files on H:, but what folders do you see?
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:26 AM

It now, in the black panel, says when I paste the command in

dir /a /s /O H: >backup.txt && start notepad backup.txt:

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

THE PLOT THICKENS and what next?
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:58 AM

I just received this email. Is this the "quick" way of doing it (LOL)? I "think" I got to Windows Explorer by getting to "All programs" then to "accessories". I left click on the H drive.

BUT now it asks "You need to format the disk H before you can use it. Do you want to format it?" Clearly, by formatting I don't want to wipe off the files already saved on the H drive. What is next? When I clicked CANCEL on that message, the error message above came up again.
Very discouraging.

Your question on Microsoft Answers has an answer:
How to view hidden files and folders:

Open Windows Explorer and in the left pane click on the C: or the H: drive in your case.

Next click on the 'Organize' pull down.
Select 'Layout' and place a check mark next to the 'Menu bar' option.

Now Windows Explorer should display the Menu Bar.
Select 'View' and 'Details'

Next select 'Tools' and 'Folder options' and click on the 'View' Tab.
Click the 'Show hidden files. folders and drives' option
Next remove the check marks from the follow:
'Hide empty drives ...'
'Hide extensions for know file types'
'Hide protected operating system files' (click 'Yes' to the warning prompt)

Now at the top click 'Apply to all Folders' and click 'Yes' to the prompt.
Then at the bottom click 'Apply' and 'OK'.

"Name and link removed by AnnMarie - we only post links to other sites if it is relevant to the issue. This information doesnt apply to your situation."

Last edited by cdave; July 25th, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Going on the web, this way is fairly easy to use:

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

BUT, when I click on "show hidden files, folders and drive" option, WILL THIS GET ME THERE? Or is this isn't what I want (where the saved files are located)?
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:18 PM

You're working at more than one forum? We generally ask people to make a choice to work only at one place.

The command I gave you would have listed all files, hidden or not. Normally,you should be able to see the folders Windows Backup created on the drive by opening the drive itself, but the folders will appear empty. As to showng hidden files, if the prompt couldn't see them, then I doubt they will now be visible. That CRC error could mean the drive is or has failed.
And this could also explain why you weren't able to restore a file there earlier in this thread. Backup said the Drive was not formatted as NTFS. Not seeing the files themselves inside the folder is a matter or NTFS permissions.

Can you unplug the drive and then plug it back in please? After that, then continue with the following:

As a start, let's see if it's possible to run a Diagnostic chkdsk on the drive. Run cmd.exe as administrator like you have before.

Copy and paste in the following command:

chkdsk H: >h.txt && start notepad h.txt

When h.txt opens, post its contents. Or you may get an error in the Command window again so that chkdsk may not run.
If you get an error, then please right click on Computer on the start menu and click Manage. When Computer Management opens, double click on Storage in the right pane.

Then double click on DiskManagement. Find the H: drive. Does it say healthy? And what does it say the File system is. It may differ from what you saw before.

Here's a screenshot of my disk management.

Remember, this might be a Hardware issue. We'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diskmanagement.jpg (83.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Mosaic1; July 25th, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM

I pasted it in (chkdsk H: >h.txt && start notepad h.txt) but nothing's happening ... it just wants me to enter another command underneath (the command prompt appears again).
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Ok. Let's see what Disk Management says about your dirve. Please continue with the next step in the previous directions.
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:42 PM

Ok, for the H drive it says Healthy status and the file system is RAW, layout simple, type is basic.

This is by doing thus:

right click on Computer on the start menu and click Manage. When Computer Management opens, double click on Storage in the right pane.

Then double click on DiskManagement. Find the H: driv

Last edited by cdave; July 26th, 2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:42 AM

Does this get us forward?
Old July 26th, 2011, 02:02 PM

Yes. This answers the question of what's going on. Your file system on H: is not formatted. Disk Managtment sees it as RAW, and that's not good. That is due to either a physical failure of the drive itself or something which I am not aware of.

Normally, onthis forum we don't ask for ceratin types of scans, but I'd like to see yoiur recent error messages, so will ask you to run Otl.exe

Here's how:
Click this link to download OldTimer's OTL to your desktop.
http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe

Next, click OTL.exe to open the scan display.(Vista and windows7 Users, right click on OTL.exe and click on Run As Administrator) At the top check "Scan All Users", then click "Run Scan". Make no other changes at this time.

When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are also saved in the same location as OTL.exe. Post the contents of Extras.txt back here please. Do not post the contents of OTL.txt. I don't need that. Just Extras.txt
Closed Topic