Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:32 PM

"mail" app crashes at splash screen

Hi Everyone;
My neighbour was using the default "Mail" app in Win8 successfully for the last year. A few weeks ago though, clicking on the app to open it produces the splash screen then closes and leaves her at the win8 tiles again. I installed Thunderbird for her so she could do her email, but would like to either a) ensure the "Mail" program is not also downloading the email, or b) repair "mail". Since it won't open, I can't access any options or settings. Unfortunately, asking to uninstall "mail" prompts that 3 other apps will also be uninstalled, including "people" which she uses.

Advice very much appreciated.
Riva

Old April 14th, 2014, 10:15 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
So if you: On the Windows home screen, uninstalled the original mail app by right clicking the tile and choosing uninstall. Then reinstalled the app from the Windows store. That if you do this it wants to uninstall other apps?

The Mail APP may be blocked by the firewall;

1. Open Windows Firewall by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering firewall in the search box, and then tapping or clicking Windows Firewall.
  1. Tap or click Turn Windows Firewall on or off; You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice. Do one of the following:
  2. Tap or click Turn on Windows Firewall under each type of networks that you want to help protect, and then tap or click OK.
  3. Tap or click Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) under each network type that you want to stop trying to protect, and then tap or click OK.
If the Firewall is on, we will assume it is then: then in the window Tap or click Allow an app or features through Windows Firewall

Tap or click Change settings. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

Select the check box next to the app you want to allow, (in this case Mail)select the network types you want to allow communication on, and then click OK
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:37 PM

Yes, i didnt try the uninstall reinstall of "mail" because it looks like it want to uninstall "people", as well. I dont want her to lose her contacts due to this step.
Sorry, only just saw the reply today. Am headed back over there shortly as she is distraught in frustration with win8.
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:33 PM

If they are using Windows Live mail, it is part of Windows Essentials, you could try a repair:

1. Go to Control Panel then click Programs.
2. Click Programs and Features.
3. Right click Windows Live Essentials 2012 then click Uninstall/Change.
5. Select Repair all Windows Live programs in the dialog box.
6. After the repair is done, reboot when asked.

If that doesn't work then

May be it is installed in compatibility mode.

c:\Program files(x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe go to properties and uncheck "Run this program in compatibility mode for" in compatibility tab.
Old April 30th, 2014, 01:25 AM

Thanks, this afternoon, i tried microsofts "metro app troubleshooter" and it fixed a registry item, sfterwhich mail opened successfully.

Take care
Riva
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:23 AM

Thanks for letting us know.