Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:57 AM

Hi, Ram in a modern system is meant to be used, and I have no issues with somebody running 4gb on a 32 bit system, system requirements limiting this to 3.5 or thereabouts max. The point being, unless the system is paging and requires more then the physical memory can provide, the additional memory will not be used, this is why I said 2gb for most 32 bit users is OK. Unless you are accessing the memory you will not notice an improvement... this is the case for most 32 bit users the statement that adding additional ram will improve performance is a common fallacy.

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
this is why I said 2gb for most 32 bit users is OK
No, sorry, but that is not what you said. "OK" is not the same as, "you will not notice the difference", which is what you said earlier.

Windows will use any RAM it can find, and Windows WILL use the PF, even if there is plenty of RAM. It is not a fallacy if it is true and it is true that adding another gig or 2 to a 2Gb Windows 7 system - especially one running with integrated graphics - will improve overall system performance.

If your personal experience is no improvement, then you had other bottlenecks in the way.

Is more RAM the priority here? No. Disk space is so I will not run this topic off-topic to debate something that is already a well established fact.
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:26 PM

Hi, (my final comment as this is off topic now), the understanding of memory and how it works is difficult, unless you have specific training. I do not wish to become technical other then to say my comments were to alert people to the belief that adding additional memory will increase performance, it will if physical memory is inadequate such as 1 gb instead of 2 gb, in a 32 bit system.

However after this it is unlikely to alter performance by much if any. Windows will use the paging file as you said , however this use has very little to do with physical memory unless the physical memory limit has been exceeded, for example if the PF (your term) is writing/reading to the page file,it does not mean it is using it, it may just be updating it so it can dump the memory, if needed. Also windows updates schedule is held for priority process the PF plays a role here, there are many other issues.

The main point is you have advised that adding additional memory beyond 2gb on a 32 bit system will increase performance, This is not good science as the only way it can improve performance is if the physical memory is used, with most 32 bit users this is not the case, you can spin it how you like the fact is, most 32 bit systems XP, Vista, and Seven ship with 1 gb or 2 gb, 2 gb being the current norm, with memory so cheap adding more would be easy we don't because it is in most instances not needed.
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
most 32 bit systems XP, Vista, and Seven ship with 1 gb or 2 gb, 2 gb being the current norm,
XP and Vista are obsolete. I am not talking about them. And for the record, most W7 systems today ship with 64-bit Windows 7 and typically 3Gb (or triple channel boards) and or 4Gb (with dual channel boards). And they typically come with more than 2Gb of RAM because RAM is so cheap.

Quote:
for example if the PF (your term) is writing/reading to the page file,it does not mean it is using it
What?? If the system is writing/reading to the page file (PF) , it is using the page file.

I am sorry, jenae, but it is simply not correct to suggest adding more RAM to a 2Gb Windows 7 system will not improve performance. There is more than 3 1/2 years of empirical evidence to show otherwise. Please note that performing system upgrades is a major part of my computer repair business. While Windows 7 will run fine for many people with only 2Gb, it will run better for most people with more RAM - and again - especially with integrated graphics. Now of course, if you already have lots of RAM, adding more RAM may be a waste of money, but 2Gb is not lots of RAM.
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:17 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I actually think you are both right in some respect. It depends on the applications you are running. I you are running very graphics intensive programs like Adobe Premiere or Photoshop or CAD then yes more ram will definitely help.
However, from my own experience, the computer in my sig was upgraded from 1gb of ram to 2gb of ram, because my girlfriend was complaining how slow it was. I did not see any significant performance increase afterward, but then again all she does is use it for the internet and word processing and the like. My other PC which is running Win 7 Pro 32-bit is so much faster and it only has 2gb of ram, even just using it for the internet, but it has a dual core processor. So I think that (the processor) makes a BIG difference.

Jim

Last edited by jmnew51; April 17th, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:36 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
try these two methods, hope will work for you:

Method 1:

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Ease of Access -> Ease of Access Center

Once the dialoge box opens click "Make the computer easier to see" Scroll down and uncheck the box by "Remove background images (where availible)" Hit "Apply" then "Ok" and then on your keyboard hit "Alt + F4" you may have to log out and log back in before it takes affect

Method 2:

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK.

6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

7. After the computer starts, check if the issue is fixed.
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:38 PM

Thank you for your suggestion Alex. However neither of those two methods I tried worked.

Jim
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:36 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
I agree more disk space is the first priority but I strongly disagree that more RAM will not improve performance noticeably. Bumping RAM to 4Gb will provide a very noticeable performance boost with Windows 7. This is especially true with motherboards using integrated graphics.

Sure, Windows 7 will run with 2Gb, but performance will be hampered.

i agree..

you need to upgrade RAM
or otherwise have to compromise on various installed heavy applications.
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:24 PM

I don't really have any installed heavy applications as I have limited disk space.

Jim
Old April 20th, 2013, 05:03 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Well reading through the thread, hasn't solved your problem, whether you need more memory or not, did not cause the problem.

Do you still have the problem? IS it booting to the desktop, just no Icons?

Do you have a Start button?
Old April 21st, 2013, 01:32 AM

Thank you for your reply Murf. Yes it boots to the desktop and I have all my icons, it's just that I cannot seem to change the background from the black that it is. I had the architecture slide shoe before, however when I click on that to try to change it it kind of goes through the motions, but it won't change from the black.

Jim
Old April 21st, 2013, 03:07 AM

Sounds like a problem in Ease of Access settings! In the Start menu search field, start typing "turn off" and the first few results should contain "Turn off background images." Click that. Alternatively, go to Control Panel > Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center > Make the computer easier to see Scroll down and uncheck "Remove background images (where available)". That should do the trick - let us know if it doesn't
Old April 21st, 2013, 03:42 AM

Yeah that did the trick Murf. I'm just curious why it didn't work when Alex10 prompted me to do the same. Hmmm maybe I didn't apply the changes or something. Well thanx for clearing that up for me.

Jim
Old April 21st, 2013, 05:50 PM

If you used ALT + F4, that closes the program but do not think it would of saved any changes. Not sure, but glad you got it fixed.
Old April 21st, 2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
If you used ALT + F4, that closes the program but do not think it would of saved any changes. Not sure, but glad you got it fixed.
I think that depends on the program. If you have an open document in Word and hit Alt + F4, you will be prompted to save or cancel the document before Word exits. With IE, if more than one Tab is open, I am given the prompt to close all, or just the current tab.