Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old September 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error message

hello,

this forum has been helpful in the past as well as just recently. i'm not sure if this is a windows or application problem but often after booting i get a dialog box that says the following:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program:...|DataSafe Local
Backup\Components\DSUpdate\DSUpdate.exe
abnormal program termination

a little icon still loads into the notification area and appears to be functional - i can open the Dell Datasafe local backup progam.

although this program came with the computer i don't want to get rid of it because i may need it one day to restore the computer back to factory default, which is all the free version is good for except for making system recovery and repair disks.

also, years ago i used the below site to optimize and secure XP. can you recommend something similar for Windows 7? i've looked around here and couldn't find anything similar.
http://home.comcast.net/~supportcd/OptimizeXP.html

thank you,
hans

ps. this is a basic Dell desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium

Last edited by Han Solo; September 1st, 2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:44 PM

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
C:\Windows\system32>
Old September 3rd, 2012, 12:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
It's a Dell DataSafe issue Han. See here. You could try the patch they recommend or failing that, contact Dell.

Quote:
also, years ago i used the below site to optimize and secure XP. can you recommend something similar for Windows 7? i've looked around here and couldn't find anything similar.
Windows 7 doesnt need optimizing. In so far as security software is concerned, I prefer to use the inbuilt firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. Post a new topic in our Applications Forum if you would like more suggestions.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:59 AM

i'm looking at that patch - it applies to DataSafe Local 2.0. i have version 9.4.60... so i'm hesitant to run it.

this machine is out of warranty so the only other thing i can think of is uninstalling the Datasafe and downloading a newer version from dell. my concern there is with the program's "hooks" to the recovery partition. will uninstalling it and installing a newer version retain its OEM functionality...ie restore the computer back to factory default etc

as far as the other thing, i have been using the Windows firewall and recently switched to MSE from Symantec SEP which is junk. Jintan recently troubleshot a malware issue extensively... i figured since i did a lot of stuff to XP i needed to do a bunch of stuff to Windows 7 too.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 02:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

I am not at all familiar with this software Han so I cant really advise you any further. Strictly speaking, you should be able to uninstall it and reinstall it but as it's obviously buggy, it may not perform as expected.

I looked on the Dell site and see that dozens of users are experiencing the same issue as you but I didnt see a solution. My best suggestion is to post a new topic in the Dell Community and hope that someone can help you.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 03:56 AM

yeah, i've been looking at the dell site also with no luck so far. it appears this problem has been going on for while...

hey there is an ad on CTH on How to Fix Runtime Error

http://www.windowsanswers.net/articl...untimegoogcont

is this worthwhile trying as a last ditch effort?
Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:31 AM
CTH Subscriber

No.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-3d0b8d3aa67c