Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:27 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Problem with email attachments in Windows 7

I encountered a perplexing problem with email attachments. I hope what I found will be of help to someone. I have week old HP 6716f desktop (I have never put one of these things on my desktop) with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I needed to send a Yahoo mail with a pdf attachment today. I could not get the file to attach. It would start to load into the email and then freeze up and Yahoo mail would become unresponding. I had two different versions of the file on my (computer) desktop. After failing to attach the file, I tried to right click and rename it which I could not do because an Adobe flashplayer installer still had the file open. In case one might think that the problem was the file size (it was 4 MB), after rebooting, I tried attaching a quite small pdf file and it would not attach. I eventually put the file on a USB drive and took it downstairs where I had set up my old XP computer. I had no problem attaching and sending the file on that computer.

As a further test, on the new Windows 7 computer, I tried attaching an Excel file to a Yahoo email. No problem. I also tried to attach the pdf file in an AOL email. The file seemed to attach, but when I tried to save the email as a draft, it would not save so I suspect the problem might not be exclusive to Yahoo. Checking the properties of the pdf files on my desktop, I found that they open with PDF Vista which is apparently what Windows 7 uses as a default. I decided to download my preferred free email viewer. It turns out that they did have a 64-bit version. (I am not sure the moderators like members to make recommendations on specific programs.) After installation, the new pdf viewer became the default and presto - no problem attaching and sending the file.

I really cannot explain the cause of the problem, but if anyone else runs into this, using a different pdf view looks like something to try.

Last edited by Kirk1; May 28th, 2011 at 12:58 PM.

Old May 28th, 2011, 04:33 PM

What version of Adobe reader? Version 9 and above is suppose to be compat with Win7 (64bit version)
Old May 29th, 2011, 05:18 PM

I do not have Adobe Reader on this new computer. The computer came loaded with PDF Complete. After trying and failing to attach a pdf file to an email, I tried to change the name of the pdf file on my desktop (which failed) and I got a message that the file was being used by Adobe Flashplayer Installer. (I may not have gotten that verbatim.) Installing my preferred pdf reader, which then became the default reader and which is not Adobe somehow eliminated the problem.