Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Topic Tools
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:16 AM

I would definitely agree that it's a permission issue. Ran as an admin, and this time it looks like most (I can't say all, yet) of the files moved. But getting into them is now the problem. For example, trying to play an mp3 (although the new OS has windows media player), gives a

"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

Trying to open a .jpg picture (which should be viewable too) gives:

"can't open this picture because you don't have the correct permission to access the file location."

Even getting into all these was time consuming, because every time I went into a folder I got a "you don't currently have permission to access this folder," which I'd have to change every time I went into a folder.

Well... it's progress at least, right?

Old October 29th, 2010, 05:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Yes it's a permissions issue and a sticky one.

What I suggest you do is to restore the files again if you can (overwrite them). Make sure you run NTBackup.exe as Administrator" again but before you do anything, download the "Take Ownership" regedit here and add it to your Context Menu (you may have to reboot to see it).

Now before you start the restore again, rightclick on the .bkf file and take ownership of it. Run the restore now.

The alternative is you will have to take ownership of every file that you cannot open. It's ok to do this with the folders/files you backed up but you must NOT take ownership of files or folders willy nilly. Some files are owned by Trusted Installer and to do so will cause security issues for you.
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:38 PM

Looks like it worked this time. I did everything as explained and nothing changed, but then I used the "take ownership" option for the folder on my desktop that I restored the old stuff to. This time it worked and I can get in to everything I've seen so far.

Everything, that is, except the word and excel files, because although I of course had excel and word before, they don't seem to be around now. Did they not move with the rest of my files (meaning, I suppose, do I have to buy them again)?

Again, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:04 PM

Edit: I did find Word, but when I click on it, I get: "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed." I tried "restore previous version" but got "there are no previous versions available."
Old November 2nd, 2010, 12:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

You are welcome halleck3.

Where did you find Word?
Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:22 AM

Desktop\New folder (3)\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office

new folder (3) is where I restored the stuff from the old xp.

Having the same problem with excel and photo editor....
Old November 2nd, 2010, 02:14 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ah right. Yes, you will have to reinstall the software so if you dont have the original CD's, you will have to purchase the software again.

Microsoft are offering a good deal on Office Home and Student at the moment which gives you both Word and Excel. Photo Editor has been replaced with Microsoft Office Picture Manager and it's no longer available.

The alternative is you might be able to purchase a copy of Microsoft Office XP (full version not the upgrade, which includes all 3) on Ebay. This is the last edition of Office that included this software however I am not sure if all versions of Office XP include Photo Editor so it would pay to ask that question before you purchase it. Also be aware that some people have experienced compatibility issues using Office XP on W7.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM

I downloaded open office on advice from a friend - it seems to work pretty well. Can you think of any reasons I shouldn't use this?

Also, had a question. Since I have most of the data from xp, can you think of a reason to keep all the other info which came with it? I think a lot of it is just xp-related stuff I don't need any more, but then again, you'd know better than I would.

Again, thanks!
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleck3 View Post
I downloaded open office on advice from a friend - it seems to work pretty well. Can you think of any reasons I shouldn't use this?
No. If you were able to restore your data, I dont see any issue at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleck3 View Post
Also, had a question. Since I have most of the data from xp, can you think of a reason to keep all the other info which came with it? I think a lot of it is just xp-related stuff I don't need any more, but then again, you'd know better than I would.

Again, thanks!
I dont really know what data you are referring to halleck3. Can you be more specific?
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Things seem to be working fairly well again, thanks again! Few minor problems like the printer not working, but I'll figure it out.

By the other stuff, I meant that the folder of backup I moved from the external drive to win7 had some 95GB or so. Of that, a lot is my data (excel & word docs, songs, pictures, etc.). But a lot is stuff like a disc image .iso file with my name on it (410,000KB), a drivers folder (30MB), i386 (1.6GB), reigstry (60MB), WINDOWS (600MB), etc. Since the comp was working fine before I restored all of that, I wonder how much of it I need and how much is related to running the old windows xp. Do you think I could get rid of some of it, or should I just play it safe and keep it all?

Last edited by halleck3; November 5th, 2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

I cant see how you can have two Windows folders on your drive. Are the folders you are referring to on your C drive or your external drive?
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
I cant see how you can have two Windows folders on your drive. Are the folders you are referring to on your C drive or your external drive?
Well, I didn't just copy my word/excel/music/picture files from the old WinXP setup. I copied everything there. So I think I brought a lot of stuff that I don't necessarily need any more. Your question: the folders I'm referring to are in the folder I restored the .bkf file to... yes, it's on my C: drive now.

Hope I wasn't too confusing!
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

I see.

It sounds like you ran a System State backup and you certainly wont need any registry information backed up from XP. It's very unlikely the rest will be required too however without examining the contents of the folders, I cant be 100% certain.

Do you have plenty of space on your external drive? If so, why dont you cut and paste the folder there and if no problems in 4-6 weeks time, delete it.
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:51 AM

AnnMarie -

Sound like good ideas. Thanks once again for your help... hopefully I won't have to ask for it again any time soon.
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:57 AM
CTH Subscriber

You are welcome halleck3.