Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 13th, 2020, 09:49 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Talking Labeling Photos and Locking Mouse

First let me say that I am very much enjoying Linux. Although I'm still learning this OS, I am sort of getting comfortable with it. The one thing that is bugging me at the moment is my photo files. I had them in a numerical order when I was using Win7: 01, 02, 03, etc. For some reason almost everything is out of order and disorganized. I am wondering what is a recommended method to numerically organize files so they are, well organized? Or am I supposed to use an "alpha" system to organize files?

The other thing is, when I put this thing in sleep mode or suspend, when I turn it on in the morning, the mouse is locked up and I have to restart it. Does anyone have any idea what the issue is and how I can resolve this?

Thank you and have a great day

Old February 13th, 2020, 11:50 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
you should be able to place your photos in order just like win7. click on view, then list view. you should be able to click on name in the window and put them in ascending or descending order.

as far as the mouse, did you try another mouse? wire or wireless mouse? did you try pulling the mouse usb from the port then plug back in to see if it unfreezes? also are you able to use the keyboard when the mouse is frozen? finally are you plugging it into the computer or usb hub?
Old February 17th, 2020, 08:28 AM

Well I wish I could place my photos in order like 7, but it apparently does not work that way with this OS. Linux has options, but not like 7. I can reverse the order of files, but not in ascending order. The view tab does not list ascending/decending. It gives you other weird options like date, or size, but not anything related to standard labelling. When I was told that Linux is different, they weren't kidding. All my files are in numerical order, but there is no link for you to choose alpha or numeric.There is however, an option to "manually" organize files, but what a pain in the keister that would be. I have over 3600 files. I'm on Linux Mint. It appears I'm going to have to re-label many of these so I can access them quickly. I haven't tried the mouse yet, but I will. Thank you.
Old February 17th, 2020, 08:34 AM

I just lost my post for some reason. I'll just say that Linux does not have the simplicity that 7 apparently had. There is no ascending-decending option--just reverse. I'm on Linux Mint. I'm probably going to have to re-label most of these files. Extra work that I really don't need. As for mouse, I will get to that later. Thanks.
Old February 17th, 2020, 04:59 PM
CTH Subscriber

Surely there's software available for you to "batch convert" whatever you wish to convert. For example, with Windows OS's there's a software named Irfanview, that has "batch conversion" as one of its' many features.
Old February 17th, 2020, 05:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

Maybe this will help...

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=208896