Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

Topic Tools
Old March 9th, 2020, 03:52 PM

Entertainment center flummox

I drive a 2018 Toyota Camry with the low end entertainment center.

I got the low end package because I primarily listen to talky podcasts in the car. Therein lies the problem: I download them to my thumb drive, and while podcasts routinely have episode filenames and file titles that are consecutively numbered by order of release at the beginning of the name or title, I cannot get them to play in consecutive order all the time. I get a bizarre partial sequencing.

As a for instance, a podcast might be episode 1. I get it that some file managers might auto place episode 10 after that and episode 100 after that because it is ordering files by digit rather than by number, but in my case, the episodes that played immediately after ("Mike Rowe's 'The Way I Heard It'") (renamed) episode 020 were 095, 096, etc when all of them in between were downloaded and resident in the same folder.

I tried fooling around with file names and title names, changing them to include leading zeros, and I ordered them in different ways in File Explorer, to no avail. I have no idea why episode 095 would play in front of episode 010, which in turn played before episode 003, which played in front of episodes 004 to 009, all of them consecutively according to number.

Something is going on. Could the order be based on some metadata I cannot see?

Note: I am not playing the files on randomize.

Tech support from car companies is pretty limited. Does anyone understand what is happening or whether it can be adjusted? What OS to entertainment systems use, and why can't they behave like all the rest?

Candidly, fiddling with the system takes a lot of attention that should be on the road, and it is inviting accidents.

Last edited by Total Noob; March 9th, 2020 at 03:56 PM.

Old March 10th, 2020, 12:18 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Edit the filename to include a leading zero's when there are more than 10 episodes.
eg 01, 02, 03.......09, 10, 11 and so on. If there are more than 100 episodes you'll need to start with two leading zero's.
Old March 10th, 2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
Edit the filename to include a leading zero's when there are more than 10 episodes.
eg 01, 02, 03.......09, 10, 11 and so on. If there are more than 100 episodes you'll need to start with two leading zero's.
Been there done that before my original post.

As described, it did not help. The file with edited filename "Episode_095" ran before "Episode_010" which ran before "Episode_003". Those filenames were identical to the titles which are buried in metadata.

Any chance the files run in the sequence they were last accessed? I did not move all the episodes to my thumbdrive simultaneously; I was sampling the product and downloaded them piecemeal. Could that be the culprit?

Also, can we lobby for a better OS for cars? The Android system is so easy to use and it maintains subfolders in a file tree; the car doesn't do that, and it is so much more complex I'm sure it is causing accidents, as if manufacturers care about that if they can save 10 cents on the software used in the entertainment center.
Old March 10th, 2020, 08:59 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Have you tried re-indexing your thumbdrive?
Old March 17th, 2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
Have you tried re-indexing your thumbdrive?
Yes. It did not help.

I also noticed another "feature." I separated podcasts from music and put them on different drives, plus I deleted what I already listened to, and quite amazingly, did not lose my place, such as it was, when I mounted either thumb drive.

I did not rename the drives, but it is very, very interesting that the OS retains information about what has played and where to resume playing.

I wonder if that info goes to central when you hook up your phone via bluetooth. Google already knows what you download; should Toyota?