Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 30th, 2020, 05:39 PM

O/S: Windows 2000
Question Google Chrome Transfer

I own two identical laptops, Both are a Dell Latitude D830. The old one has Win XP installed. The new one has Win 10 installed. Both are using the Google chrome browser. On my old laptop I have over 100 shortcuts I saved over the years. I can not find a way of transferring these shortcuts from the old laptop to the new one. I even tried copying the contents of the Google Chrome folder from the old one to the new one with no success. Does anyone know of a way to transfer these shortcuts from one computer to another? Any tips you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Old April 30th, 2020, 07:17 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
shortcuts or bookmarks? you can save bookmark using a bookmark manager chrome addon - use eversync or you can export them. don't know what version of chrome you have in xp but generally, click the three dots at right top, click bookmarks then click import bookmarks and settings. if it is not there, click files and see if import bookmarks and setting is there.
Old May 1st, 2020, 01:58 PM

I have no bookmarks saved, only shortcuts. Thanks for replying.
Old May 1st, 2020, 02:43 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
When you click on one of the shortcuts you've save, does it open a program, document, picture or web page?
Old May 1st, 2020, 03:36 PM
Jill

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Why don't you just copy the shortcuts to a thumbdrive or a CD, and then copy, and paste them to the other laptop?
Old May 1st, 2020, 04:28 PM
Certifiable Bum

just copy the shortcuts to a usb drive and move them. It is as simple as that. one thing though, if any of them starts a program, the folder may be different in the new computer so they won't work.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 03:49 PM

Nothing recommended works. Let me explain in detail. If you copy a shortcut to a thumbdrive and paste it on the new computer, it is blank. The shortcut icon on the new computer looks like a white sheet of paper with no properties. It is essentially a dead file. Let's compare a Windows Internet Explorer shortcut with a Google Chrome shortcut. If you save an Explorer shortcut and you right click it and go to properties, it will show you the exact website address. For example if you save a shortcut to the Weather Channel and right click it and then go to properties it will show "www.weather.com". This icon can then be transferred to any computer using Internet Explorer. I have done this using Windows 95, 98, and XP. Google Chrome saves them differently. When you save a Chrome shortcut to your desktop, it is also placed into a Chrome file folder. The actual location of this file folder is C: Program Files / Google / Chrome / Application Data. This Applications Data File is unique to this one computer only. You can not copy this folder to another computer. It will not work. Bottom line is this. A Google Chrome shortcut can be used only on the computer it was created on.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 05:47 PM

What you're referring to as shortcuts are also (or mostly) called Bookmarks or Favorites.
Click Here for instructions.
Also How To Move Google Chrome Bookmarks From One Computer to Another
Old May 2nd, 2020, 06:08 PM

You are absolutely right. Shortcuts are also known as favorites. I should have used the term Favorites. Your recommendation for the transfer is very lengthy. Having to connect both laptops on the same LAN will be a little difficult. Let me work on this for a few days and I will get back to you. Thanks for your tip.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 07:44 PM
Certifiable Bum

you should have at least said chrome created shortcuts especially since I did ask about bookmarks or shortcuts.

anyway, are you able to sync them using your chrome profile? might have to create one first. then sign into chrome on the new computer. not sure if it will work but worth a look.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 08:22 PM

Both sites I linked to explain how to transfer the bookmarks without connecting the two machines directly.
Just scroll down the pages and see if you find a method that works for you
Old May 3rd, 2020, 02:16 PM

Renegade600: Both laptops can not be linked. The version of Google Chrome is too old and can not be updated on a Win XP system.

Miz: Thanks for the update. I guess I was too anxious and missed it. Will give it a shot in the next couple of days.

I'll get back within the next few days.

Last edited by jackp; May 3rd, 2020 at 02:18 PM. Reason: misspelling.
Old May 4th, 2020, 06:10 AM
Certifiable Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackp View Post
Renegade600: Both laptops can not be linked. The version of Google Chrome is too old and can not be updated on a Win XP system.

Miz: Thanks for the update. I guess I was too anxious and missed it. Will give it a shot in the next couple of days.

I'll get back within the next few days.
what version of chrome?
Old May 4th, 2020, 02:13 PM

The Chrome version of the XP laptop is V49 which can not be updated. Chrome does not allow any more updates on Win XP. The OS is too old. The Win 10 laptop has V73 installed. I will be attempting the transfer tomorrow.
Old May 6th, 2020, 02:13 PM

Good News. The Google Chrome shortcuts were successfully transferred. About 10% were blank icons that did not work. Not a problem. It was easy to recreate the bad ones. The transfer saved me hours and hours of manually recreating each and every shortcut. It would have taken me days to complete. Thanks for your assistance. We can now close this thread.