Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old June 22nd, 2020, 12:55 PM

Mouse won't copy and paste

I have an inexpensive logitech wireless mouse. Copy/paste function is hit and miss. I have to really mess with it for it to highlight what I want to copy. It also sometimes clicks the wrong thing or goes to a link that was close to where I clicked. I am using the mouse on an HP laptop. I just want to know if I need to buy a new mouse or if something else might be amiss.
Edit to add: I read somewhere online that clearing the cache would help but I did that and it made no difference. I also used CCleaner.

Old June 22nd, 2020, 04:10 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
geneveve2,

Going to need more information about the Mouse & Laptop.
Wireless Mouse?
Model Numbers of both Mouse, & Laptop.

Just off the top of my head.........

Wireless Mice are prone to RFI.
{(R)adio (F)requency (I)nterference}
So, try moving your Laptop to a different location, and see if that helps.

Also, check or replace the battery in the Mouse.
{a weak battery will cause strange or intermittent mouse cursor movement.}

Note: There have been a bad batch of wireless mice that Logitech made that had to have firmware updates.
Because the mice would go into power saving sleep mode, and wouldn't always come out of it when you started to move the mouse.

Personally,
I perfer a wired Mouse or Trackball.
No RFI Problem, or Battery to replace.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old June 23rd, 2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneveve2
I have an inexpensive logitech wireless mouse. Copy/paste function is hit and miss.
Did this problem suddenly start, or has this mouse always behaved this way? Does the notebook touchpad behave similarly?

Quote:
Wireless Mice are prone to RFI.
"Prone to" suggest interference is "likely" to happen. As long as there is no physical damage to the mouse, or its dongle, or the USB port, and the computer itself is properly grounded, and the wall outlet is properly grounded to Earth ground, wireless mice and keyboards are NOT "prone to" interference. And note the condition of the USB, computer grounding and wall outlet grounding apply to wired mice (and keyboards) too. But of course, computer grounding and wall outlet grounding don't apply when the notebook is running on battery. But the condition of the USB port and dongle still do.

Yes, EMI/RFI can happen, and wireless devices are more vulnerable than wired mice (if in good repair). But the typical symptom is the mouse pointer either flies all over the place, or it doesn't move at all.

For sure, make sure you have fresh batteries. I have never been a fan of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries but when I migrated all my computers to wireless mice and keyboards a few years ago, I was needing to replace the batteries every 4 - 6 months. With 5 computers in the house, that adds up. So I made the move and invested in a bunch of rechargeable batteries and a charger, and am glad I did. Of course the frequency for everyone will be different, depending on how they use their devices and the number of hours per day. But unless you actually turn off the wireless mouse or keyboard ("IF" it has an on/or switch), or remove the batteries when not in use, they are always "on" - at least in standby mode consuming power.

If me, I would make sure the dongle is securely inserted in the USB port. You might even try a different USB port if one is available. Then ensure the optical lens is clean of dust with a couple blasts of dusting gas. A single eyelash can wreck havoc.

And I sure would also try another mouse before buying another.

And personally, I much prefer wireless mice over wired. Keyboards don't typically move so you can tuck its cable out of the way and not worry about. But mice are constantly on the move. This means the cable needs to be loose and free to move too - and that often results in getting tangled up with feet, or pulling on the mouse and moving the pointer out of position.

As I said, I use 5 wireless mice and keyboards here. 3 are the same Microsoft models and 2 are Logitech mice. I have not had any interference issues between them, or with any of the other numerous wireless devices in the house, or other nearby electronics (TVs, microwave ovens, etc.), or the cell tower across the street.
Old June 25th, 2020, 07:28 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Most new wireless mice operate on 2.4Ghz.
This is the same frequency as some WiFi Routers, and Cordless Phones.
Thus, I've seen, and other people have reported Interference problems with the mice.

Older Wireless Mice operate on a frequency of 47Mhz.
But, I have not seen any problem with them being affected by EMI/RFI.

Also, there have been reports of problems with USB 3.0 compatibility of the Dongle Receivers.
So, try plugging in to a USB 2.0 port instead, if you can.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old June 26th, 2020, 06:20 PM

In the digital age, 2.4GHz is still a very wide band to operate in. That's how all these devices (and you left out Bluetooth) can operate in the 2.4GHz band and NOT interfere with each other. In the same household, it is common for the same 2.4GHz band to have smart TVs, wireless notebooks, Alexa and Siri, smart lightbulbs, doorbells, multiple security cameras, several wireless keyboards and mice, even smart watches all operating just fine - without interfering with each other.

Yes, it happens, but it is rare - therefore NOT "prone" to happen.